• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modem replacemt: Verizon DSL recommendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
I have to replace my Verizon DSL modem(West Coast-So. Calif.) and of course can buy one of Verizon's off their website but, I would rather buy a modem from Newegg.

Compatability with Verizon is of utmost importance of course, but is/are there non-proprietary modems that will work just as well?

For OFFICIAL support, I believe Actiontec is the only modem they will support.

However, Verizon uses the standard ADSL. Any ADSL or ADSL2 modem should work with Verizon. Keep in mind that initial setup may be more than plug-n-play, but once it is connected it should give you no problems.

Looks like I'll just go with an Actiontec GT704WGB, being as I'll be dependent upon Verizon's tech support for resetting my user name/password for turning off the walled garden; been 6 years since this account was set up, and I have no clue what user/passwd I used. The Actiontec has all the features I was looking for- combination modem/wired~wireless router, so I can consolidate my network equipment.

Well, I really don't know what to think- I ordered the Actiontec GT704WGB from Verizon Monday, and I got the shipment today...YAY!
However, it was NOT the Actiontec GT704WGB I specifically ordered but ended up being a Westell 7500...wtf. According to the label on the bottom of the modem, it only does WEP. !!!

I don't get it...and to think I had gotten over my anger with Verizon and started to feel all warm & fuzzy again. :bang head

I'll be calling them tomorrow, if the Westell 7500 is going to be a 'freebie' replacement then fine, I'll deal with it. But if they think they're going to charge me $69 for THIS pos, they gotta 'nuther think coming.

Edit- it will do WPA2, must be an old model with a firmware update.

Last edited:
Thanks, I emailed Customer Service but haven't heard back yet; my account doesn't show any charges...yet.

I went ahead and put the Westell in service, had to call tech support to disable the "garden wall"; 45 minutes later(and 3 Motrins) my connection is up.

The Westell isn't such a bad device after all; it does everything you'd typically want in a modem/router: put in Bridged mode, have LAN rigs on static IPs, wireless doing WPA2.

I think that one of the main reasons this was stressful is because it's something I've not had to deal with often. The last 6 years internet service have been pretty much trouble-free; at my previous location I had 3 years of Adelphia cable, which was trouble-free as well...unless someone hit a utility pole or...

Back