• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Having trouble installing VMware Server in ubuntu 9.04

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BenF

I'm kinda a noob to linux and a noob to VMWare. I decided that I wanted to mess around with both to learn more. I'm having trouble getting vmware server to install correctly. I have the latest version of vmware server downloaded and extracted to /home/ben/vmware. My kernel right now is: 2.6.28-15-generic. This is the error code that it is popping out at me. I checked the website they list but I haven't had much luck. Can someone point me in the right direction to fix this?

Code:
/usr/share/applications/vmware-server.desktop: warning: value "vmware-server.png" for key "Icon" in group "Desktop Entry" is an icon name with an extension, but there should be no extension as described in the Icon Theme Specification if the value is not an absolute path
/usr/share/applications/vmware-console-uri-handler.desktop: warning: value "vmware-server.png" for key "Icon" in group "Desktop Entry" is an icon name with an extension, but there should be no extension as described in the Icon Theme Specification if the value is not an absolute path
Trying to find a suitable vmmon module for your running kernel.

None of the pre-built vmmon modules for VMware Server is suitable for your 
running kernel.  Do you want this program to try to build the vmmon module for 
your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)? [yes] 

Using compiler "/usr/bin/gcc". Use environment variable CC to override.

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
kernel? [/lib/modules/2.6.28-15-generic/build/include] 

Extracting the sources of the vmmon module.

Building the vmmon module.

Using 2.6.x kernel build system.
make: Entering directory `/tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only'
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.28-15-generic/build/include/.. SUBDIRS=$PWD SRCROOT=$PWD/. modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-15-generic'
  CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o
In file included from /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/./include/x86.h:20,
                 from /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/./include/machine.h:24,
                 from /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/linux/driver.h:15,
                 from /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:49:
/tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/./include/x86apic.h:79:1: warning: "APIC_BASE_MSR" redefined
In file included from /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-15-generic/arch/x86/include/asm/fixmap_32.h:29,
                 from /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-15-generic/arch/x86/include/asm/fixmap.h:5,
                 from /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-15-generic/arch/x86/include/asm/apic.h:8,
                 from /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-15-generic/arch/x86/include/asm/smp.h:13,
                 from include/linux/smp.h:30,
                 from include/linux/topology.h:33,
                 from include/linux/mmzone.h:763,
                 from include/linux/gfp.h:4,
                 from include/linux/kmod.h:22,
                 from include/linux/module.h:13,
                 from /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:12:
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-15-generic/arch/x86/include/asm/apicdef.h:132:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
In file included from /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/./include/machine.h:24,
                 from /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/linux/driver.h:15,
                 from /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:49:
/tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/./include/x86.h:830:1: warning: "PTE_PFN_MASK" redefined
In file included from /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-15-generic/arch/x86/include/asm/paravirt.h:7,
                 from /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-15-generic/arch/x86/include/asm/irqflags.h:55,
                 from include/linux/irqflags.h:57,
                 from /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-15-generic/arch/x86/include/asm/system.h:11,
                 from /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-15-generic/arch/x86/include/asm/processor.h:17,
                 from include/linux/prefetch.h:14,
                 from include/linux/list.h:6,
                 from include/linux/module.h:9,
                 from /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:12:
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-15-generic/arch/x86/include/asm/page.h:22:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
In file included from /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/linux/vmhost.h:13,
                 from /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:71:
/tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/./include/compat_semaphore.h:5:27: error: asm/semaphore.h: No such file or directory
/tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:146: error: unknown field ‘nopage’ specified in initializer
/tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:147: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
/tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:150: error: unknown field ‘nopage’ specified in initializer
/tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:151: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
/tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c: In function ‘LinuxDriver_Ioctl’:
/tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:1670: error: too many arguments to function ‘smp_call_function’
make[2]: *** [/tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-15-generic'
make: *** [vmmon.ko] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only'
Unable to build the vmmon module.

For more information on how to troubleshoot module-related problems, please 
visit our Web site at "http://www.vmware.com/download/modules/modules.html" and
"http://www.vmware.com/support/reference/linux/prebuilt_modules_linux.html".

Execution aborted.

ben@ben-laptop:~/vmware/vmware-server-distrib$ What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
kernel? [/lib/modules/2.6.28-15-generic/build/include]What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
kernel? [/lib/modules/2.6.28-15-generic/build/include]bash: What: command not found
ben@ben-laptop:~/vmware/vmware-server-distrib$ kernel? [/lib/modules/2.6.28-15-generic/build/include]What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
bash: kernel?: command not found
ben@ben-laptop:~/vmware/vmware-server-distrib$ kernel? [/lib/modules/2.6.28-15-generic/build/include]What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
bash: kernel?: command not found
ben@ben-laptop:~/vmware/vmware-server-distrib$ kernel? [/lib/modules/2.6.28-15-generic/build/include]

I've used all the default install settings btw.

Care to tell me why you want to increase your security risks needlessly?
Have fun inspecting all makefiles and source before compiling btw.

Care to tell me why you want to increase your security risks needlessly?
Have fun inspecting all makefiles and source before compiling btw.

Some packages require elevated access to file systems, modules, and config files. Not every package out there is user friendly, and will install as a normal user.

Some people need to learn the difference between compiling and installing. In case of kernel modules, make modules vs. make modules install.

Compiling as root is ALWAYS a stupid idea. Even the people at VMWare know this. For example read the kernelnewbies FAQs

Thanks for the help fishy. The second link you gave posted was exactly what I was looking for.

A lot of software requires that you compile and install as root. You should be careful what you compile/run as root, but some things simply require it. (Portage in Gentoo will abort if you run it as anything but root, barring some fairly complex custom modifications, which are not recommended by the Gentoo devs anyways.)

In some cases, opening up read/write capabilities to necessary files/directories to non root users (e.g. the kernel source tree) is more of a security risk than compiling the kernel as root. In theory you only need read access to the source, but that would require rewriting all the makefiles in many cases... which opens up its own security risks as well as creating a lot of work.

A lot of proprietary software will also abort installation (including compilation) if you are not root, and you may not be able to rewrite it, depending on how the installation is constructed.

It is debatable whether this is always the best practice, but it is a fact of life.

Compiling as root is ALWAYS a stupid idea. Even the people at VMWare know this. For example read the kernelnewbies FAQs

I'm going to say something here. If I told my wife something she did was stupid, that becomes, to her, you're stupid.

If you picked out one of my suggestions and said it was stupid, I'd be insulted and would feel flamed. Now my years here have helped to develop a thick skin, but statements like yours about the input of others are not helpful in any way.

Not my problem if you or your wife can't distinguish between actions and persons. I dunno about you but I do stupid things all the time doesn't mean I consider myself (overly) stupid. Well except sometimes when my stupidity apparently knows no bounds. If you never do stupid things maybe you should start teaching the world at large how you accomplish that miracle. The world could really use your insights right now.

But I guess I better stop now and ask you (since you seem to be a big mod kind of guy): can you please delete my personal information from your servers? Thank you.

Not my problem if you or your wife can't distinguish between actions and persons. I dunno about you but I do stupid things all the time doesn't mean I consider myself (overly) stupid. Well except sometimes when my stupidity apparently knows no bounds. If you never do stupid things maybe you should start teaching the world at large how you accomplish that miracle. The world could really use your insights right now.

But I guess I better stop now and ask you (since you seem to be a big mod kind of guy): can you please delete my personal information from your servers? Thank you.

So much drama here I'm not sure where to start. Your reply was out of line, that's all there is to it. If you want your account banned then that is your request, i would just need a private message to verify.

wow... it isn't the fact that someone can not distinguish the difference, but rather the fact that once you are married, there are just some things you do not say, you may think it, you may want to say it, but you don't. Like others have stated... Regardless what you believe or feel, somethings need to be compiled/installed as root unless you feel like changing alot of stuff and creating alot of other problems. I suppose you are the type of person that is ignorant to people's responses and so I'm probably wasting my time. So who actually benefits from calling another person stupid? noone, instead you should show them a different way and explain them through the process so they can understand without feeling put down and that way you turn an accident into a learning experience and the person who messed up will feel better about themselves and know more about what they are doing and thus be better and more efficient at it.

Flurp, it is probably best to just let this die. I have seen some of pharoer's posts, and it is not worth it to argue with him.

Back