• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading for the future

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Critical_level2

Registered
My current system is really beginning to show its age:
Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego OCed to 2.8
MSI 7207 Mobo
2 GB Corsair XMS PC3200 DDR Ram
EVGA 7900GS KO OCed 605/815

Now comes my Dilemma. I have an E8400 Wolfdale I got from work for free. I was planning on just getting a new mobo and ram for it. I was looking at some prices and for a few dollars more, I could get a Phenom II X3 720BE, mobo and ram for a few dollars more. The Video card I am not concerned at the moment, as that can wait till christmas.

I have been running my current system for the last 4-5 years now and it has been very good to me. I am looking to get 4-5 years out of my next build. I am not super gamer of the year, I usually play Warcraft and possibly Diablo 3 when it comes out. Would I be better just building a new AM3 based system or would the E8400 wolfdale have the ability to last, I have heard the 775 sockets are on their way out the door in the near future.

Thanks for all help.

I don't think Intel has any more CPU releases scheduled for Socket 775. The E8400 would get you by just fine for a year, maybe two, but almost certainly not 4-5 years. The AM3 Phenom II based system if it is about the same price, on the other hand would most likely allow you another CPU upgrade in the future.

Back