• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

your first 'gaming rig'?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I was sold on the Voodoo Banshee's box art. Can't find any pictures on the net of it.

I upgraded my first computer with the Monster3D voodoo 1 card. It was my first tinkering, and I was 11.

2d41eb6709a0c2644e0e0110.L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

A Diamond Monster 3D 3DFX Voodoo1 and external pass-through 2D video interconnect cable

The Monster3D line was based on 3DFX Voodoo Graphics and Voodoo2 chips - as such, they had no on-board 2D and thus had to be used with a separate VGA card, connected externally. Both Voodoo and Voodoo2 based offerings were in production until the STB-3dfx merger. The series was highly successful and, for a significant part, responsible for the 3D Graphics revolution of the mid-late 1990s. 3DFX's Voodoo chipsets were revolutionary and for several years (approx. 1997-1999) were simply the fastest hardware for 3D gaming acceleration in both the arcade market and home PC arena.

A critically acclaimed feature of the Monster 3D II (and all other Voodoo2 boards) was the capability to connect two identical boards in a SLI (Scan-line Interleave) configuration. In SLI, a pair of Voodoo2 boards splits the effort of rendering the 3D scene, allowing performance to be nearly doubled.

I had a Compaq presario 5360
20107746-177x150-0-0.jpg

450mhz k6-2 processor
64mb ram
10gb hdd
15" crt

Later added a Voodoo 3 2000 PCI "3d accelerator" and thought it was amazing!

486 DX4 100Mhz with 16MB of ram and a 2MB videocard which I promply got rid of for a Vodoo3 3000 PCI card (I think).

Doom FTMFW!!!!!!

Last edited:
Can't remember the CPU speed, but it was a P1, 256 meg (I think) of ram & a Riva TNT. Played Doom on it.

Hp Laptop, Athlon XP 2500M, Radeon 320M, as for the rest of the specs, I can't recall. I think it had an 80GB hard drive.

First gaming computer i had was an Apple ][+, that had hardware hack for ][e memory, but not cpu. Some ][e games would run, others demanded the higher clocked cpu.
After that it was a compaq of some sort with a 486dx2-66.
First 3d card was a voodoo1, probably in a 5x86-133 box, not sure on that, might have been a k6.

I feel old.

I don't consider a system a "gaming" machine until you can break 100FPS in a game, so my first gaming machine was the one listed below. I could get over 104+FPS in Quake 2 with the AMD drivers.

FIC VA 503+ Motherboard
5169.jpg

AMD K6-2 300 @350Mhz
512MB SDRAM
Apex Full Tower ATX Case
pc2.jpg

Matrox G200 AGP
2x Creative 3D Blaster (12MB each)
voodoo2_12mb.jpg

Diamond SpeedStor 40 SCSI
4.3GB IBM UWSCSI HDD
20GB Maxtor(?)
Hauppauge WinTV Card
Jazz Multimedia MPEG Decoder Card
Diamond Supra-Express 56i
Creative SB AWE64
(Yes. all 8 slots were filled and no conflicts in Win95. Quite an accomplishment in those days!)
TEAC 1x CDR
HP IDE CDR
Altec Lansing ACS 250 Speakers (not a pic of mine, just showing what they looked like)
sasadk8.jpg

17" KDS Monitor

I don't consider a system a "gaming" machine until you can break 100FPS in a game, so my first gaming machine was the one listed below. I could get over 104+FPS in Quake 2 with the AMD drivers.

FIC VA 503+ Motherboard
5169.jpg

AMD K6-2 300 @350Mhz
512MB SDRAM
Apex Full Tower ATX Case
pc2.jpg

Matrox G200 AGP
2x Creative 3D Blaster (12MB each)
voodoo2_12mb.jpg

Diamond SpeedStor 40 SCSI
4.3GB IBM UWSCSI HDD
20GB Maxtor(?)
Hauppauge WinTV Card
Jazz Multimedia MPEG Decoder Card
Diamond Supra-Express 56i
Creative SB AWE64
(Yes. all 8 slots were filled and no conflicts in Win95. Quite an accomplishment in those days!)
TEAC 1x CDR
HP IDE CDR
Altec Lansing ACS 250 Speakers (not a pic of mine, just showing what they looked like)
sasadk8.jpg

17" KDS Monitor

Reminds me of my speakers I got on my 360,wii,tv,media center.

http://www.amazon.com/Altec-Lansing-GT5051-Surround-Speaker/dp/B0006688XY

I also got a pair of JBL creature II's I need to hook up to that setup. :)

Let's see:

Commodore Branded (Yes, that Commodore)
Pentium 60 (with the infamous Pentium FDIV bug)
8 MB of EDO RAM
540MB Samsung HDD
4 MB PCI Diamond Video Card
Sound Blaster 16
2x CD ROM drive
Standard Beige Case
17" SVGA Daytek CRT Monitor

It 'only' costed around $5500 CDN back in 1993 (so around $7300 CDN today).
The funny thing was that it was only a 'medium-end' system that the store had. They had a bunch of even higher end systems based on the Pentium 66 that were $7000+ at least.

That's because, like the Model T, you could get cases in any color you wanted, as long as it was beige.

Heh, I remember when I first saw the Chieftec Dragon cases in different colours used by Alienware way back when I was completely shocked.

Last edited:
Back