• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E8400 Wolfdale and a new GTX295 waiting on Modern Warfare 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Monty_Python

Hey Guys,

I'm wanting to upgrade my aging 8800GTS, I have a 23" LCD at 1920x1080. I play lots of COD4 and World and War and am gettting ready for MW2.

Will my old Wolfy at 4GHZ bottleneck a new GTX295 at 1920x1080??

I know...I need to upgrade to an I7...but I want to try a new video card first and upgrade cpu/ram/mb after Christmas.

Last edited:
I would have went with HD5870/5850 which is better for the same price I think. But heck, solid card none the less.

I would highly advise to to get a HD5870, I think you have a right to return an item within a week, no questions (don't quote me on this :p).

The HD5870 is stronger and has DX11 = more futureproof.
But hey, if that GTX285 is fine for you than who am I to say what to do :p

I was looking at an ati 5xxx card, but I wanted to stick with Nvidia, the 295GTX was way way overkill and too pricey. And I didnt want to wait on the new 3xx card to come out.

Should do me for a little while :eek:

I was looking at an ati 5xxx card, but I wanted to stick with Nvidia, the 295GTX was way way overkill and too pricey. And I didnt want to wait on the new 3xx card to come out.

Should do me for a little while :eek:

Even if you wanted to stick to one brand, (Which is probably the most ridiculous thing you can do) it would've been wise to wait at least until the beginning of November because MW2 comes out in November 10th and by then Nvidia would've responded to the HD5870 by lowering the price of the GTX285 and the GTX295.

And contrary to what everyone says, an E8400 at 4GHZ won't bottleneck a GTX295.

The truth of the matter is, right now Dual Core > Quad Core unless you're going Core i7 or Core i5. Gaming doesn't care about cores as much as it cares about the architecture of the chip combined with clock frequency.

It's not over-kill for 1920x1200 either because at those settings, if you crank on enough AA/AF, you'll definitely see that card get pushed.

HD5850 beats a gtx 285 by about 10% and has dx11 capability for less money. Take it back!

HD5850 beats a gtx 285 by about 10% and has dx11 capability for less money. Take it back!

Or keep it and save some extra cash then get 3D Vision and thank me later.
Nothing compares to what that does to how you experience games...I have spend more hours playing that last week than I have in months combined...it is that good! :santa:

If you could run that cpu at 4.4ish, the 295 would like that better :)

At full stock it chews its way thru anything, that card is an animal

thats with 16xQaa :)

Edit:

Just saw you have a 285, its a pretty good card too :)

Its not a 295 tho :beer:

don't know why but cod4 is a really well coded game, it runs great on single gpu too

get the ati card (and this comes from a pure nvidia user)

What he said. ^^^^^ Right now GTX 285 is overprice for its performance. Either get the 5xxx or just save money and get a GTX260/275 for now and get the GTX300 series when it comes out if you HAVE to stick with Nvidia.

The truth of the matter is, right now Dual Core > Quad Core unless you're going Core i7 or Core i5. Gaming doesn't care about cores as much as it cares about the architecture of the chip combined with clock frequency.

This is not true across the board. I edit video, so I have more of a need for cores than most people, but you can't tell me there aren't games out there that benefit from 4 cores as opposed to two (Lost Planet, Supreme Commander, Quake 4, Fear, GTA 4, I could go on). Moreover, you can simply disable two cores if you want to clock higher.

I'm gonna agree with going for the ATI 5870 over the GTX 295 or 285, I'm an Nvidia supporter to the death, but the 5870 is simply a better value for its performance. It outperforms while being less expensive.

Personally (and its somewhat off topic, but I have to mention it) I WILL NOT be purchasing MW2, due to the removal of support for Dedicated Servers and Mods. Multiplayer will be based solely on a peer 2 peer hosting system. Just wanted to make sure you know that, in case it makes a difference on your decision to purchase the game.

Hey Guys,

I'm wanting to upgrade my aging 8800GTS, I have a 23" LCD at 1920x1080. I play lots of COD4 and World and War and am gettting ready for MW2.

Will my old Wolfy at 4GHZ bottleneck a new GTX295 at 1920x1080??

I know...I need to upgrade to an I7...but I want to try a new video card first and upgrade cpu/ram/mb after Christmas.

I dunno why would it even be worth it to buy COD MW2. It has been announced that the series no longer has dedicated servers for the PC. No dedicated servers=dead game. IMO either buy the console version or dont buy it at all,

I dunno why would it even be worth it to buy COD MW2. It has been announced that the series no longer has dedicated servers for the PC. No dedicated servers=dead game. IMO either buy the console version or dont buy it at all,

Single player, worth it for me alone.

Considering it isn't going to sell anywhere near as many copies as COD4 the price will drop a ton in a month or so. The game is pretty much DOA.

Well, some angry PC gamers would like people to believe that but it's just not true. The game is going to sell very well based on it's reputation for great story and gameplay.

Back