• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my i7 920 stable at these settings?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mas5acre

i7920 D0 <EDIT>@ 1.30000vcore default

ran in LinX for 15min w/ the following settings, all seems good, wat do u guys think?

191 QPI 4.0ghz @ 21x turbo multiplier with Vdrop off.

VCORE +.02500
IOH/ICH/IO VOLT 1.25
ICH VCORE 1.05
QPI PLL 1.1
CPU PLL 1.425
IOH VCORE 1.1
CPU VTT 1.20
DRAM VOLT 1.65
MAX TEMP (LinX) 80C

EDIT: After an hour LinX got an error, bumped vcore to +.03125V.
DOUBLE EDIT: new volt errored at 45min pushed up to .03750V, now seems stable for 1 hour 84 max temp though I turned off most fans more as "Ohh I forgot to turn on fan controller switches" precaution. 84 ain't bad with only two high speed yates on full blast on my TRUE Copper with the only the exhaust and psu fans on besides them. Have 8 if you include psu fan.

I left a margin of error for the CPU VTT because it has to be within .5 of DRAM volt and can vary.

I did achieve 4.1 ghz w/ a 196QPI x21 multiplier by changing the following

VCORE +08750
CPU VTT 1.25
MAX TEMP (LinX) 87C

RealTemp used for temperature readings.
Was a bit high for my liking, so I stopped on my quest to 4.2ghz & took it back to 4.0ghz.

My ram is set to 2/8 with 7-8-7-20 6gb mushkin running lower than spec 1600mhz, haven't really tried to tweak the timings. Oh yeah Uncore is 16x.

I think the voltages were getting too radical for my liking for only mhz worth of difference after 4.0ghz, and I run cpu handbrake alot, I'd prefer to stay away from 80C as much as possible as it probably being the worst case scenario. So what do you think?

......Wish I had a better chip, glad I do have good air cooling.

For reference I got 3.9 ghz on default vcore with a QPI of 189 with the same settings as 1st list otherwise. So does all seem good? I was amazed at the exponential growth of voltage required to get close to 4.2......

Last edited:
Can you post a pic of CPUz (validation link or SS)? You havent told us the vcore. All chips default to different voltages, so we really don tknow your true voltage (not only that, boards can drop voltage a varying amount).

It would be best if you could load the CPU and then SS CPUz for load voltage.

Also, if you are 20 minutes LINX stable, run Prime95 blent for 8-12 hours. If you pass that, you are pretty good to go. i7 is a different beast and LINX wont always bring out errors. P95 will find the errors in the QPI link if theres an issue whereas LINX wont always.

Can you post a pic of CPUz (validation link or SS)? You havent told us the vcore. All chips default to different voltages, so we really don tknow your true voltage (not only that, boards can drop voltage a varying amount).

Glad you said that, it fixed my problem when I realized my default voltage wasn't 1.28125 which I thought it was. It was instead default 1.3000, so it made my final vcore volt 1.33750, probably run prime tomarrow....I used evga e-leet to find voltages and when I got mine at +.0375 I set it wrong in bios, your message made check my default. Thx.

Glad you said that, it fixed my problem when I realized my default voltage wasn't 1.28125 which I thought it was. It was instead default 1.3000, so it made my final vcore volt 1.33750, probably run prime tomarrow....I used evga e-leet to find voltages and when I got mine at +.0375 I set it wrong in bios, your message made check my default. Thx.

with your D0 you should be able to achieve 200x20 at 1.25v (+/-) .05v without issues.

Back