• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600 with not so good oc cappabilities

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iwan

I need an advice from ones who own/owned q6600 with poor oc cappabilities,or requiered high voltage to explain to me what voltages(cpu,mch,nb...)to use on ep45-ds3r mbo.I have stabilized it on 3.6ghz with 1.66,or 1.69(not sure)in bios,1.60v in occt.(vcore 1.66v,alll the rest auto).Can anyone explain to me how to know wich voltage to raise.I`ll edit this post and put pictures of my bios.
81d45597.jpg

4e9fe53d.jpg

81ab6d6c.jpg

Last edited:
Although I've never worked with one, I can tell you that from all of the threads that I've seen 3.6Ghz is pretty much a common wall for this chip. 3.4-3.6 is generally the common attainable oc with teh 6600.

Although I've never worked with one, I can tell you that from all of the threads that I've seen 3.6Ghz is pretty much a common wall for this chip. 3.4-3.6 is generally the common attainable oc with teh 6600.

Yes,but i have seen some cpus that go to 3.6 with 1.4v or even to 3.8,and with my voltage over 4ghz.So i am asking is this the wall or could i do something with other voltages not just cpu vcore.

Wow. does it really need that much? :eek:

Have you turned on Loadline callibration?

If you have, what do you have your cpu gtl set to?

Thats intense! :attn:

Wow. does it really need that much? :eek:

Have you turned on Loadline callibration?

If you have, what do you have your cpu gtl set to?

Thats intense! :attn:

As you can see on the pictures there is no load line option,and gtl.

isnt 1.66volts kinda high for any 45nm chip? and it might be you just got a really crappy chip too :p

I have this chip and currently am running it at 3.55GHZ with 1.48v. On water this chip does not go over 55C load on prime or wprime.

Try bumping your MCH Core up by 1 value and bump your memory voltage up to 2v.
Once you do this try bringing your core voltage down and test to see where it stands.

A couple of questions

What is your goal with this chip?
What are your current Idle/Load temps?

Every chip is slightly different, I had a friend get a Q6 GO , and it was crashing on 3.4 and 3.6 wasnt attainable.... Just matters what batch it is. Old ones will go far and high but Ill never believe they have 100 percent stability. Ive booted @ 4Ghz and can take a pic, big deal ya know... the QX9770 is the ubber chip that one day I will get in couple years and take her to 5Ghz.... gl

Well I would have to disagree here is a nice 3.8GHz with only 1.45 vcore nice and STABLE

As for the OP question....
CPU Termination and CPU PLL with be your friend I would set termination to 1.40 and PLL to 1.60 for starts, that should allow you to lower vcore 450x8 would yeild better bandwidth if your ram can do 1080MHz then I would try it, at 450FSB you'll need to increase NB volts as well.

3800final.jpg

There is no way your chip should have that much voltage pumped into it. As a 65nm chip it can handle voltage a bit better than a 45nm chip but that is still a lot.

I run mine at 1.5 with LLC and even that is borderline excessive.

Currently it is on 3.2ghz 1.4v.I can boot with 3.8ghz,but not higher(scored 4.0ghz with easy tune but it crashed in s pi).My max load temp. on 1.66v is 65C(in OCCT)(i don`t think that is very high for this voltage),and idle 31-35C.
Could it be somehow psu-s fault?

Last edited:
I have this chip and currently am running it at 3.55GHZ with 1.48v. On water this chip does not go over 55C load on prime or wprime.

Try bumping your MCH Core up by 1 value and bump your memory voltage up to 2v.
Once you do this try bringing your core voltage down and test to see where it stands.

A couple of questions

What is your goal with this chip?
What are your current Idle/Load temps?

My values are all on auto(except cpu vcore and mem)so for mch what shoul i do;put it on stock voltage and then raise it by 1 or...

You should start your overclocking from stock speeds, and work your way up. That way you can find out what you cpu really needs for x clock speed. dont forget to take all the voltage setings that are on Auto, and change them to your own values.

What is the right voltage: one in bios or the one at full load?
Example:i have in bios 1.425v(3.2ghz),but under occt the voltage drops to 1.33v,1.34v.

Last edited:
I couldn`t lower any cpu voltages,it doesn`t matter how much i increase other voltages it isn`t stable without high vcore. Can you tell me where is nb voltage on my mbo in pictures in first post.

Last edited:
I couldn`t lower any cpu voltages,it doesn`t matter how much i increase other voltages it isn`t stable without high vcore. Can you tell me where is nb voltage on my mbo in pictures in first post.

That's MCH CORE for NB

Back