• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Graphics Card Trade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Porvalsh

Do you guys think its worth trying to look for a trade for a Nvidia card?

Right now I have an AMD setup, and am running the Radeon HD 4890. The card only puts out about 3200ppd. After getting a VM setup and SMP running I can pull about 6000-7000ppd estimated. So...this isn't very good, lol.

I was wondering if I should think about trading for something like a GTX275 that would offer me about the same performance as the Radeon HD 4890 in games but much better performance in folding. The only problem is I can't ever run an SLI setup with my board...which was an idea for the future 2x 4890.

I'd hate to trade, or trade + cash and when this new GPU client comes out see that I could have just stayed with my 4890 and been good, or even better got another 4890 since they are so cheap and been golden.

Can't run dual gtx 260's since my board is xfire only.

Any thoughts?

Personally, I'd wait for GPU3 client before deciding on a GPU upgrade.
OTOH, no one knows when will that be.

Yeah, I know. Not being very helpful there, am I?

Since I ONLY Fold and don't play games, I'd make the trade and get a better Folding card.

My 9600 GSO ($43 AMIR) is getting ~ 3500 PPD with 1000 PPD on a VM/Ubuntu.

I would trade ATI for Geforce anyday. I can't wait to see the new GPU client with ATI cards, but like WP said who knows when. Your board should take 2 x independent GTX cards.

^^

Thats interesting. I wasn't sure if my board would handle more than one Nvidia card but I guess that makes sense, just can't SLI them for gaming...which isn't used for folidng.

I actually have 4 PCIe 2.0 slots, and could fit quad cards as the spacing is enough to make it happen. So theoretically I could run 4 nvidia cards for folding right, assuming they only used up 1 6+2 pin power adapter per card (I only have 4 of those) and asuming 750 watts was enough to run them all.

Back