• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q9400s, I7-860 or E8600 for non-gaming workstation usage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

richklein

Hi,

I am looking to build a test system for various OS testing that I do. I plan to use this as a Windows Server 2008 box (for testing / learning the OS). I may play around with Windows 7 or Vista on it as well either using VM's or other partitions.

I wouldnt mind playing with Citrix to see how that all works too.

I am not expecting to have more than 2-3 users on at a time.

My main goal is not gaming (though that could happen on it as well).

I was curious what the best route to go is today. All the processors (Q9400s, I7-860 or E8600) are about the same price (250-290).

Whats the best way to go without OC'ing (or mild OC'ing) with the intent of running different OS's / a test machine?

My budget is roughly $800, though I do not need a case, DVD, or hard drives. I think I need just Ram, probably a PSU (I have a PSU from a Dual Core system), Mobo & Processor.

Thanks,
Rich

core i7 860 would be best. quad core + HT so 4 cores 8 threads. not sure if what you plan on doing will take full advantage of the 2 threads per core. if not. i would look into getting a Core I5, if you decided on not going with the i7. the i5 would be better off than the Q9400.

Back