• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone try UFO Afterlight?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ratbuddy

Saw it on Steam for $10, looks kinda cool. How's it stack up to X-COM? I mean the first two, not the crappy sequels, of course.

I have played all the "after" series so they all find of bunched up into one n my head.

UFO Afterlight was good, the stories to each of the games are connected but needed. It does help.

Game play is fun. Unlike the old x-com(ufo) games there is no money. in afterlight you take over areas that have resources. you need different amounts of different resources to do everything. The game is fun. I think the second Aftermath was the best of the three and also the buggiest. i was also a little upset the first direct2drive only allowed 2 installs but thats an issue with the complain more then the game also there's a new patch out as of a few months ago....

Wow rambling on. In short it is very much the spirit of UFO. Game play is fun and can be a challenge. Lots of weapons and different training for troops(can even duel weld some weapons with the right training). research plays a big role(as it should) and if you don't knit pick "what should have been" the game is great.

Sounds great. One question, how is combat? The one review I saw mentioned that the battlefields are kinda empty feeling and it often devolves into a 'stand there and shoot each other till one of you falls down' type of experience. Did you find that happening?

One of my favorite parts of X-COM was using terrain to outwit the baddies. Having one troop shoot a hole in a wall and their squadmate angle a shot in to take out the alien, that sort of thing.

well many are empty you are on mars trying to colonize it. Not to give to much away as the game progress the landscape changes. Most combat maps are repetitive like X-com but there are a few more. there are also different types of missions. You have the normal remove all threats, kill leader/target, collect item and even some where you just try and get out alive.

Well, for $10 might as well give it a shot. Can't be THAT bad :beer:

Back