• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dzlobin

Registered
Hey guys

I'm coming back to OCForums after about 3-4 years away! And to mark the occasion I'm building a new machine, so I thought I'd get some input on what I've got in mind so far. I think an i7 920 is the way to go right without breaking the bank entirely and still staying viable for the future, no?

Intel i7 920/ Thermalright TRUE 120
Asus P6T SE
OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3-1600
Corsair CMPSU-550VX 550W
EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896mb
Patriot Warp 32GB SSD (OS)
Western Digital 640GB Caviar Black HDD
Cooler Master Centurion 5

What do y'all think? :santa:

instead of that 260 I'd go with a 5000 series gpu...

I'm gonna stick with Nvidia, that much I know :p. But if there are other Nvidia cards that are better in the same price area, then I'd be interested...

instead of that 260 I'd go with a 5000 series gpu...

+1..... You can't beat the price of the 5850 right now. Just look at the benches and you will see the 5850 competes with and beats the GTX 285 plus you get a card that is compatible with dx11

Have you considered the Coolermaster Gladiator RC600 case. Will take 5 fans and has 120 in front and 140 on top. PS at bottom means cables not so good.
Edit: It is also a no tools case.

+1..... You can't beat the price of the 5850 right now. Just look at the benches and you will see the 5850 competes with and beats the GTX 285 plus you get a card that is compatible with dx11

You know, now that i'm looking into it, a 5850, while $100 more, might actually be a better bet. Thanks! I'll keep investigating this :bday:

Have you considered the Coolermaster Gladiator RC600 case. Will take 5 fans and has 120 in front and 140 on top. PS at bottom means cables not so good.
Edit: It is also a no tools case.

I haven't seen this before and I'm sold on the gladiator. Thanks!

to get back your $100 your planning on spending on a 5850, you can get an i5, but that socket might not last long and there is something going on with 1156 sockets... see HERE:http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3661

I think that I'd rather stick with the i7 920 since it's got a great record of overclocking so far and it should be viable for a while.

Those socket-scars sure are nasty though..

to get back your $100 your planning on spending on a 5850, you can get an i5, but that socket might not last long and there is something going on with 1156 sockets... see HERE:http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3661

The only reason I would go i7 instead of i5 is for the triple channel.

If you go i5, might as well just get a used quad 775 and save some cash.

The better question is if he's better off waiting for the i7 die shrink and/or USB 3.0 boards.

The only reason I would go i7 instead of i5 is for the triple channel.

If you go i5, might as well just get a used quad 775 and save some cash.

The better question is if he's better off waiting for the i7 die shrink and/or USB 3.0 boards.
I won't be waiting that long since I'm going to buy this machine in the next 3-4 weeks.

Back