• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows 7 vs windows XP benchmark article

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You might ask in the ACM MSDNAA thread. I'm sure somebody there who managed to get their hands on a copy of 7 has a spare machine, and MSDNAA still has XP (both 32 and 64 bit) available.

I can do a better write up of all the testing I did. TBH I decided to put it off because I used 7 RC build 7100 and thought that retail would be preferable. (And also because I've been lazy)

(FWIW for modern machines, 7 is superior to XP by quite a lot)

Exactly Brolloks, I've seen that thread before - and mistakenly made it public which Gautum was very graceful about.

Gautum, if you could do this, that would be huge - the current benchmark article I linked to gets hundreds of hits every day. Once we can publish a new one, I'll put a note in the old one redirecting people to the updated/accurate results. Going forward, I want the frontpage to be more reliable and accurate, so this is a rather big step in that direction, IMO.

Contact Hokiealumnus if you need a copy of the article template (available in the news subforum), or if you have any questions about anything. He's the MSOS content editor and he can help you with anything you need in order to get the article ready for the frontpage, including editting/proofreading.

Tests results are vastly different from what you got Gautum:confused:

I believe the test results are accurate, but the hardware platform was different (irrelevant hardware now for a performance/enthusiast community). Look at what Joe was running.

Yep, that's the key. Even on Core 2 XP is a bit better. On Nehalem though Vista and 7 are generally better. He's also using an obscure benchmark.

FWIW - DPC Latencies seem to be inherently lower (better) in XP. Hopefully, driver optimizations will improve this, but I think it is inherent in the new Kernel (Vista was a lot worse than XP, W7 is only a little worse than XP)...

:cool:

I would say its no different than ever. Some benches prefer xp some vista and some win7. I think when it is sheer cpu, then win7 rules. On my i7 920 some benches still dominate with xp though. I just need to spend some dough on a vid card, been beating the crap outta these 9800gtx cards and a gts250.

Gautum - do you have an ETA on this?

I'm not rushing, just wanted to checkin.

The Win7 benchmarks article has almost 200 hits already on launch day today.

Back