• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dual duron

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

badgers

what board and speed processors are people running in a dual system?

I assume that I need a morgan core?

board, proc, OC ability and where you got the processors.

I was looking at the 1.0 Ghz duron but I have a hard time finding out if the pricewatch.com ad is for a morgan or a spitfire.

also, I assume that dual boards do not have the VIA PCI problem

You can use dual XPs dual Morgan durons or Dual classic T-Birds. Some durons at 1000 are morgans and some are spitfires so watch out. Anything over 1000 is a morgan. The new MPX boards look like your best bet if you don't want to spend a lot of money. Asus has there MPX board out already. I believe the Asus supports fsb overclocking but I'm not shure. If you get the $200 tyan you won't be able to overclock. The $400 tyan allows for FSB overclocking with CPUFSB.

Bender said:
You can use dual XPs dual Morgan durons or Dual classic T-Birds. Some durons at 1000 are morgans and some are spitfires so watch out. Anything over 1000 is a morgan. The new MPX boards look like your best bet if you don't want to spend a lot of money. Asus has there MPX board out already. I believe the Asus supports fsb overclocking but I'm not shure. If you get the $200 tyan you won't be able to overclock. The $400 tyan allows for FSB overclocking with CPUFSB.

Um bender..its the other way around. The Tyan Tiger ($200) allows for fsb overclocking via a program like softfsb and thats only if your Tiger is a rev. 3 board. The Tyan Thunder ($400 offers no overclocking abilities. The new Asus board offers fsb overclocking out the box. As far as multiplier and voltage overclocking you will have to find a way to do that yourself as none of these motherboards fully suport it.

Tyan S2460 rev 3 has a pll generator that runs up to 153mhz.

This is the 200.00 board.

This board also will run Durons,T-Birds,XP,MP.You dont need a Morgan core.

The Tyan does need Regestered ram though. GL

thanks for the replies.

I was hoping to get durons and fsb overclock.

any dual boards with integrated SCSI controllers?

Also keep in mind that if you buy an MPX board, the Spitfire durons and TBirds WILL NOT work in SMP. You have to go Morgan or Palomino.

SickBoy said:
Also keep in mind that if you buy an MPX board, the Spitfire durons and TBirds WILL NOT work in SMP. You have to go Morgan or Palomino.

Is that only on the new MPX chipset based boards or are you saying that for Athlon MP solutions altogether, because I've read of at least on the old Thunder K7 board using the old MP chipset that it was also possible to use spitfires and tbirds in it, but in some situations SMP mode degraded performance.

Oh, and SickBoy, I also just wanted to just say greets from MNU. Your picture is still on Andrew's wall!
;)

Last edited:
It is the chipset that provides the platform for SMP.For a processor to function in a SMP main board the Processor must BE GLUELESS.

This means it needs no special instruction set to work with a secong processor.

ALL AMD SOCKET A CHIPS ARE GLUELESS.............................

bdmosky said:

Is that only on the new MPX chipset based boards or are you saying that for Athlon MP solutions altogether, because I've read of at least on the old Thunder K7 board using the old MP chipset that it was also possible to use spitfires and tbirds in it, but in some situations SMP mode degraded performance.

Oh, and SickBoy, I also just wanted to just say greets from MNU. Your picture is still on Andrew's wall!
;)

Good grief, Ben.... you scared the living poop out of me.

Yeah, the older 760MP boards (TigerMP and Thunder K7) can use spitfires and TBirds just fine. It's an MP vs. MPX chipset thing. MPX chipset's don't like the old cores, MP chipsets don't care.

I run a dual rig and NOTHING I have read says the MPX will not run a duron.

Matter of fact I have read that all processors run on an MP and An MPX.

To the guy saying it wont I am sure you do not have a dual,or hang around forums dedicated to

duals.http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?threadid=9916

Read this and decide if 2 Durons will work.The key words here are supported by AMD,Meaning there tech support.Of course thay want to sell THE Big Buck Chips hence thay will offer no tech support but that is not a statement the other processors will not work..................

diehrd said:

To the guy saying it wont I am sure you do not have a dual,or hang around forums dedicated to

duals.http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?threadid=9916

Read this and decide if 2 Durons will work.The key words here are supported by AMD,Meaning there tech support.Of course thay want to sell THE Big Buck Chips hence thay will offer no tech support but that is not a statement the other processors will not work..................

Those are some pretty heavy-handed accusations..... considering I've been a registered member at 2cpu for 4 months now. Yes, I do read the forums there and for the most part, the message that has been going around there is that Spitfires and Thunderbirds work on 760MP boards in dual config, but not on MPX boards in dual config. I would guess that a lot of this is inconsistent, seeing as how CPU ID is up to the BIOS revision.

I understand the "supported by AMD" stuff. Do I give a flying fart what AMD supports? Probably not, seeing as how I've been overclocking socket A stuff for a full year now. All I want to know is what works, and what doesn't. For the most part, I have hear that Spitfire and Thunderbird do NOT work correctly in MPX.

You do realize that this is all pretty irrelevant... if board makers like Asus and Tyan and MSI start releasing BIOSes to appease AMD (i.e. BIOSes that disable SMP for all chips except the AthlonMP) this discussion will be entirely academic.

You better know who you're making accusations at before you start slinging the mud, pal. I'm not mad, I'll forget it this time but in the future you better watch whose toes you're stepping on.

SB

To the guy saying it wont I am sure you do not have a dual,or hang around forums dedicated to duals.

http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?threadid=9916

First off you are wrong and if someone pointing it out sends you off on a rant thats your issue and pouring it out is your right,but the fact remains you are wrong !

You better know who you're making accusations at before you start slinging the mud, pal. I'm not mad, I'll forget it this time but in the future you better watch whose toes you're stepping on.

And by the way you are slinging the mud by your coments.And as far as I am concerned you are just another single user that thinks he knows about duals.Before you speak you might want to try experence ! And if your toes hurt good,stick them deeper in your mouth with the foot you seem to be chewing on.

have read EVERY FAQ that's posted at 2cpu. Are you even listening to what I'm saying? If not I'll clarify. Dual Morgans work in SMP. Period. Same situation for Dual AthlonMP and XP. (Barring a bad CPU of course) For 760 MP boards (read: Tyan TigerMP and ThunderK7) Spitfires and TBirds work fine. I have never disputed that. They're not SMP optimized but they work.

For MPX boards (read: TigerMPX, Thunder K7X, Asus A7M266D, and a host of more coming in the next week) there have been verified issues with running TBIRD and SPITFIRE core CPU's in dual configuration.

This is my last post in this topic. I refuse to play idiot playground games with immature brats.

You are so wrong it is like claiming life on mars but having no proof.post a direct link to anyone who has 2 durons and the mpx and cant get it to work.......

I have 5 friends with the ASUS and durons in them.But I guess if you have read a few posts you are more correct than actual users with durons.

So the fact is, the ability to be paired up is inherent to all socket A processors or was the link i gave you to hard to understand.

Back