• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

usps money order and craiglist

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

meionm

I listed a hard drive for sale on craiglist. Couple of days later I get a call from a guy that wants to buy it. Well, that's cool and he wants to pay with usps money order. Now, I don't mind. I prefer that over paypal but that sort of raised a red flag.

If I would be buying from someone on craiglist I would either be do it in person or use a paypal. Atleast when you send money with paypal you can put a claim later. Once money order is send, it is like it is gone.

The shipping address that I got for it is a POB Box in MI

He is using his isp email att.net but seriously what's up with name "The Bandit" It sort of puts him in the same wagon as that scammer from nigeria "John Borrow"

Now, I do remember reading once about fake usps money orders, how do I verify that I have legit or fake one? I just don't want blow a deal on it or get scammed

So, what do you think?

Ah I see. I'm not sure I would ever mail something to some on craigslist, I'd leave shipping items to eBay and these forums. With no legit feedback system or any kind of mod support, there is a lot of potential to get screwed. Just make 100% sure the MO is legit before shipping the item.

You can also take MO to a local PO and if they check it clean you can cash em there no charge for it.

Exactly. That's the only way I do m.o. sales. Take it to the post office, cash it and pay for shipping out of the m.o. Once you've got cash you're good to go :) Of course CL always has the 'DEAL LOCALLY' warnings and probably for good reason but with a m.o. there's basically no risk as a seller other than some minor hassle if it turns out to be fake.

Take it to the post office, cash it and pay for shipping out of the m.o. Once you've got cash you're good to go :)

You can also take MO to a local PO and if they check it clean you can cash em there no charge for it.

Make sure it is a real MO (should be obvious to spot since its all listed online), then cash it. There's no risk for you, other than maybe a bit of wasted time if it is fake, unless you're afraid of them having your mailing address.

Wouldn't touch it. "The Bandit" wants to pay with a money order and have you ship to a PO box?

Just list it in the classies here :beer:

i would definately be wary. a friend of mine sold his old car locally and the guy that bought it paid for it with 4 $301 money orders. they were western union not usps but they were all bogus. dont ask why he took money orders over cash in hand. he said the guy looked like a trustworthy cat...mhmm. turns out the guy was a bonified idiot. he lived a couple of blocks away and was driving the car right by my friends place regularly. so it wasnt very hard for the police to nab him. from what the police said its really common for crooks to reprint the dollar amount on money orders and try to pull off scams.

Western Union sucks. It's too easy to run a scam with them. I don't blame the company but they need to work on security features to make fake W.U. harder or offer a way to check the paper such as via web site or text check # to their number and have it reply with amount (if valid) and if its cashed or not.

I listed a hard drive for sale on craiglist. Couple of days later I get a call from a guy that wants to buy it. Well, that's cool and he wants to pay with usps money order. Now, I don't mind. I prefer that over paypal but that sort of raised a red flag.

If I would be buying from someone on craiglist I would either be do it in person or use a paypal. Atleast when you send money with paypal you can put a claim later. Once money order is send, it is like it is gone.

The shipping address that I got for it is a POB Box in MI

He is using his isp email att.net but seriously what's up with name "The Bandit" It sort of puts him in the same wagon as that scammer from nigeria "John Borrow"

Now, I do remember reading once about fake usps money orders, how do I verify that I have legit or fake one? I just don't want blow a deal on it or get scammed

So, what do you think?

COME ON DUDE... you cant accept anything other than cash in hand for CL items.. Why is the guy looking in CL in another state for a hard drive deal??? and be willing to pay in the least secure method (MO)

hard drive prices are cheap everywhere - there IS NO WAY THIS ISNT A SCAM.
If you cash this MO expect a call from your bank in a week.

That's why you cash USPS m.o. at the post office ;) When they run it through it will reject if it's fake and once you've got cash in hand you're good to go. There's really no risk as a seller doing this but selling locally for cash is naturally preferable.

and be willing to pay in the least secure method (MO)

Hah. Haha. :screwy: USPS M.O. is the MOST secure method of payment. They are as good as cash, but can be sent in the mail without risk of being stolen, due the requirement of ID to cash them. The Post Office can immediately tell you whether it is valid or not, or you can even check yourself if it might be fake or stolen.

Please, people, read the dang OP. This is not a Western Union MO.

Last edited:
when u get the money order go down to the post office with 2 boxes. If the money order is good then send the hard drive. If its bad then send a box of dog poop.

Just think of the look on the dudes face when he thinks he pulled a scam, opens the box and sees dog poop.

Hah. Haha. :screwy: USPS M.O. is the MOST secure method of payment. They are as good as cash, but can be sent in the mail without risk of being stolen, due the requirement of ID to cash them. The Post Office can immediately tell you whether it is valid or not, or you can even check yourself if it might be fake or stolen.

Please, people, read the dang OP. This is not a Western Union MO.

ROFL. THE FACT THAT ITS GOOD AS CASH MAKES IT LESS SECURE. IF THE OP SENDS THE HDD AND ITS DOA THE BUYER IS BONED. (BECAUSE ITS LESS SECURE) - MO if you are a buyer is the worst way to pay for something! The fact that hes wlling to take the risk CLEARS THAT ITS A SCAM.

You cant be accepting money order or checks or any garbage like that on CL

guys come on! no coffee this morning ?

EDIT: yes there is a risk! because there is no way this isnt a scam, he risks the teller screwing up and green lighting a MO that i will bet a testicle is BOGUS - Not to mention the OP getting in trouble for trying to cash a bogus MO

Ask yourself
Who sends money (UNSECURED, NO WAY TO ENFORCE THE PRODUCT GETS SENT) to a stranger in another state to buy a used hard drive? NO ONE.

Ask yourself
Who sends money (UNSECURED, NO WAY TO ENFORCE THE PRODUCT GETS SENT) to a stranger in another state to buy a used hard drive? NO ONE.

Worked for eBay for about 7 or 8 years before they made PayPal a required form of payment on most categories. I probably did around 500 transactions total that involved money order and never had problem as both buyer and seller. Yes a few people had problem with fake M.O. or goods not as described but it's about the same occurance as bad PayPal deals.

Back