• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer is turning off

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

buffheman

I've recently been having this issue where my computer will just randomly turn off and restart. No lockup or errors or anything, just off. I've had this system for a year now. I guess the first time this happened was like 2 months ago, but it was a rare occurrence. Now it's picking up in frequency, seems to happen more while gaming. Any ideas, overheating? Everything I have is running stock.

I haven't cleaned my case since I put it together last November. You think it could be dust build up?

first thought and main thing i would stick to, is the PSU. second would be heat but atm i dont think that is likely. shutting down and restarting is more psu related then heat with cpu/mobo. cpu/mobo from my experience has always been a hard lock.

i havent done any digging atm on that psu. the question of the oem that supplied the pcb to antec is what needs to be answered first. another question though is how long have you had that power supply?

I had that issue when my SB was overheating, a fan on it solved the issue.
Game a bit then pop the side of the case off and feel (gently) the various heatsinks.
Warm is ok, hot is dubious, IT BUUUUURNS is bad.
If you can't leave your finger on it forever, it's too hot.

My core temps were only at like 45C... so it's not that. I've had the power supply for like 11 months now. I will look into the warranty on that, maybe I can just get it replaced.

The first thing on my checklist would be check the power cords. In my experience, people tend to wad them up on the floor under the desk, and they're easy to kick when in the throws of a good game.
Overheating is easy to check by popping off the side cover and placing a spare (120mm or desktop/household) fan blowing on the motherboard in general. Leave it that way until enough time has gone by to assume the issue is resolved.

I had a Antec true power 650, first one came DOA, other one died in just 5 months. After that I made the switch to corsair which has been going strong for 6 months now.

Most likely it is the power supply, try seeing if you can get your hands on an extra one and see if you still get the random restarts.

Back