• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Get a new PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cubu

Registered
im having trouble overclocking my new rig. seems to have hit a wall and i can't figure it out. i currently have:

720 x4 @ 3.5ghz 1.45v
crosshair III board
2x2gb ocz 1.9v
2x 4770 OCed
1x 120mm fan
1x 80mm
2x 60mm
1x mcp350
1x hdd
2x opitical

is an ocz powerstream 420w psu enough to run this sufficiently? i think it has 30a on the 12v rail. thanks for any help

New PSU

Not the same setup but had odd problems also so upgraded to Corsair HX850W and it did the trick.

what do you mean by trouble?
constant PC restarts when stressing the computer...BSOD?
maybe your CPU is just a bit unstable...but 420w doesn't seem enough for any dual GPU setup.
i think you will be much better off with a 650w PSU. the Corsair HX-620 isn't a bad choice.:thup:

seems to be hitting a wall at 3.5ghz, with 3 or 4 cores not matter how much voltage i give it. i can run stock voltage with 3 cores stable at 3.5ghz, if i go to 3.6ghz and prime i get bsod. and my video card oc doesn't seem stable, sometimes i can oc and run stable, sometimes i get artifacts.

i would like to get the corsair but im on a budget, will this do?
OCZ ModXStream 700w

just read a few reviews on the ocz psu's.... when did they go downhill? looks like ill pick up a corsair, thanks guys

well the OEM used for majority of OCZ psu's, they have ripple problems under load. Bad ripple from the SS's i recall seeing last. Corsair will get suggested alot around here for the simple fact. That they use Seasonic for the psu internals plus the CS they have is great. OCZ CS is great to, all the times i had to use them.

really the psu should be imo chosen for the reasons you want. as well as taking into consideration of which are solid build quality and voltage regulation. while i got my corsair 650tx not that long ago, when i read the review of the Seasonic X-650. I was ready to switch, yes that good of a psu. For its high price of a 650unit it has the highest efficiency ratings to date, from what i have read so far. not only that that psu and pcb is designed really well, OW said it runs rather cool, even in the hot box!

all im getting at is the OEM of the psu is more important then the brand it is.

what kind of processor do you have? Just out of curiosity because i have never seen one do 720x4...

Back