• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C] It's Oct 22, 2009 in the United States, Windows 7 is officially out!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Congratulations on making a half-way usable OS in comparison to Vista (j/k). I test drove it since the RTM was completed. I have more or less managed to resolve everything that was bothering me but Windows RTM should be improved to address the following:

• 1) Major bug: Error-checking an external drive results in a memory leak.

• 2) By far the most annoying bug: Windows 7 should not delete links from desktop by default. Links to external drives, network links, links to Control Panel items are deleted every once in a while by default on some, if not all systems. Discovered culprit & Fix:

Windows 7 Start Menu > Control Panel > System and Security > Administrative Tools > Task Scheduler >
(upper left corner) Task Scheduler (Local) > Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Diagnosis >
(right pane) Right click on Scheduled > Disabled.

• 3) Annoyance: Trying to get rid of "Windows can't verify the publisher of this software" warning when installing drivers DOES NOT WORK if:
Start Menu > Run > gpedit.msc > User Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Driver Installation > Double click on Code signing for device drivers > Enabled > (below Enabled) click on the down arrow next to 'Warn' and select Ignore.

• 4) Annoyance: Trying to get rid of $DATA, DOES NOT WORK if:
Start Menu > Run > gpedit.msc > User Configuration > Administrative Templates >
Windows Components > Attachment Manager >
In the right pane, double click on "Do not preserve zone information in file attachments" and set it to Enabled

• 5) Annoyance: We should be able to completely disable Scan and Fix (recommended) pop-up for Flash drives.

EDIT: We can: Start > Run > type:
msconfig
> OK > Services TAB > Click on Service to Alphabetize the display order > Scroll down and UNCHECK: Shell Hardware Detection [it disables Scan and Fix Flash Drive nag] > OK > Restart

There should be:

• 6) An option, just an option, to turn the Auto-Arrange off for those of us that are willing to take risks with this crashing the system. Microsoft could not make this work w/o it crashing Windows 7 so their solution was to just disabled it.

• 7) There should be a Control Panel item or a Windows 7 app that displays a Graphic User Interface Search in Windows 7 so that we could simply CHECK next to the Search option we wish to use.

• 8) It would be nice to be able to intercept apps when they try to insert themselves into our right click menu, startup and Favorites menu. Windows should treat those as our homes where intruders are not welcome w/o permission. Third party apps can do this.

• 9) When you right click on a web shortcut link, the correct current location of its custom icon is not displayed.

• 10) Minor bugs: Windows 7 does not switch between full & empty recycle bin custom icons and you can't select custom icons of DOS program shortcuts.

• 11) Minor semi-annoyances:
An option should be given to us to enable the right click menu to be exactly the same when you right click on a few files vs. right clicking on 17+ files, any files. Take screenshots & compare & you'll see.

For those of us that reimage our systems all the time, it would be nice to have an option to disable Windows Update Malicious Software removal tool from showing up each & every month under Windows 7 custom update.

Finally, it would be nice if we could see the return of Windows XP style customizable Windows Explorer buttons as an option!

c627627

Last edited:
Yeah, no kidding.
I would pay money for it.

• 5) Annoyance: We should be able to completely disable Scan and Fix (recommended) pop-up for Flash drives.

You are getting this message because one of the files on your stick is
corrupted. If you scan, that message will go away every time to re-insert it.

However, I too find it annoying. The scanning feature needs to be turned off, which is how it knows there is a corrupt file. I'm thinking its a FAT / NTFS issue, since all my files are accessible, even if I just continue.

Joe

My big worry is the vista to 7 upgrade will go hay-wire some how.

bought vista with the free win 7 upgrade thing so vista has to be installed first... When I go to upgrade to 7 will all my settings be saved?

OR

should I do a big save of all my information on external drives/DVDs etc... and then do a clean install of vista then a clean upgrade to 7?

While no OS will ever be perfect (mostly do to the vast amount of personal prefrences...) I am looking forward to the "improvements" that 7 has.

None the less i am a bit tentative. I tried the RC version of 7 and had driver problems up the wazoo....being the RC I did not worry much but, it is hard to not be a bit concerned.

If you are up for it, I'd go clean install with the Win7 upgrade. I've been wary of OS upgrades since Win98. Just stopped doing them after that b/c I don't trust them to work right. Not that I've tried them and failed, I just prefer to be better safe than sorry. :)

If you are up for it, I'd go clean install with the Win7 upgrade. I've been wary of OS upgrades since Win98. Just stopped doing them after that b/c I don't trust them to work right. Not that I've tried them and failed, I just prefer to be better safe than sorry. :)

I defenatly understand and respect that point of view...(and will most likely do so) it is just such a pain in the rear to have to re install all the programs and such...

Ok, I know this has been asked before but I don't recall seeing the answer,so. Now that it is officially out.

Do you have to have Vista/XP installed first before installing the "upgrade" version of Windows 7??
Can you "double" install Windows 7 upgrade like Vista?

If you do use the copy of Vista to install first to upgrade, can you use the same copy of Vista on another computer?

Ok, I know this has been asked before but I don't recall seeing the answer,so. Now that it is officially out.

Do you have to have Vista/XP installed first before installing the "upgrade" version of Windows 7??
Can you "double" install Windows 7 upgrade like Vista?

If you do use the copy of Vista to install first to upgrade, can you use the same copy of Vista on another computer?

I know this doesnt answer your question but I think its always best to reformat the operating system partition before doing a fresh install.

I can't find the darn thing, but I posted it somewhere or another. I wanted to know and called MS up. The rep said that the installer must detect an installation of Vista or XP before it will allow you to proceed. You can then perform a custom install and format for a fresh install, but it has to be there to start the process.

I'm not sure if you can install it on a separate HDD and be allowed to keep your existing install in dual-boot. They may disable the old OS out of spite b/c you bought the Update verison, but that remains to be seen.

I've no idea whether they take the old OS code and store it to prevent activation of the OS you 'upgraded'. Seems like that would be a lot of wasted resources on their part, but you never know.

Oh, and +1 to King107s, a fresh install is always best. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.
King, ya I agree but I was wondering if you have to have either Vista installed, before doing a "clean" install, which is one of the options, or have a product key code, or just the Vista disk, like 98 to Xp.
Hokie, not just a dual-boot, but on another hdd entirely. In other words, can you still use the Vista you used to "upgrade" to 7 from?

You got in while I was trying to ninja edit. See updated post. Answer: I don't know. :)

I have a question in at Experts exchange about the Scan and fix annoyance. I should get an answer quickly... Gurus galore!

The last time I did an upgrade was Windows 3.11 to Windows 95. It came on 13 floppy disks and took something like 6 hours to complete. Since then it's always been fresh installs...mostly because since then I've only had OEM Windows, but there is just something that feels good about knowing you are starting from a clean slate even if it is annoying to reinstall all your programs.

On topic...
I for one am wholeheartedly exited about Launch Day! I have used every version of windows since 3.11, some of them I have liked (95,98,XP) some of them I have not (ME,2k), Vista was middle of the road for me. In all versions of Windows since 95 it seems there have been trade offs: areas where you had to take a step backwards (be it speed on the same hardware, stability, compatibility) to take a leap forwards in other areas. Win 7 like Win 95 for me is an operating system where they have only made improvements, there are no steps backwards, they took every area of the OS that needed improving and made it better without adding unnecessary junk.

The timing is interesting as well. The Win7 launch is coming on the heels of the latest Mac OS which is having compatibility issues and in a smaller percentage of cases randomly deleting users data. It feels good to once again be using an OS (Win7) that people are not poking fun at. I hope the rest of you are/will be soon enjoying it as well.

On topic...
I for one am wholeheartedly exited about Launch Day! I have used every version of windows since 3.11, some of them I have liked (95,98,XP) some of them I have not (ME,2k), Vista was middle of the road for me. In all versions of Windows since 95 it seems there have been trade offs: areas where you had to take a step backwards (be it speed on the same hardware, stability, compatibility) to take a leap forwards in other areas. Win 7 like Win 95 for me is an operating system where they have only made improvements, there are no steps backwards, they took every area of the OS that needed improving and made it better without adding unnecessary junk.

The timing is interesting as well. The Win7 launch is coming on the heels of the latest Mac OS which is having compatibility issues and in a smaller percentage of cases randomly deleting users data. It feels good to once again be using an OS (Win7) that people are not poking fun at. I hope the rest of you are/will be soon enjoying it as well.
I'm definitely enjoying it. Used the RC for months, then was fortunate enough to get RTM and it has been my primary OS for a good month now. Very solid performer. There are issues (see c627627's post ;) ), but it is by far the best OS release they have had that I can recall. I've used 3.11, 95, 98, 2k and XP. You're spot-on with "they took every area of the OS that needed improving and made it better without adding unnecessary junk." Managed to skip Vista entirely and absolutely love Win7.

Attachments

• Editor'sNote.jpg
    Editor'sNote.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 581
Back