• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how do u update bios with RAID 0?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ravaneli

If default settings get loaded, my raid will fall apart, together with both of my operating systems and a load of programs..

can u install new bios and keep settings? the raid settings, in particular..

You can load a new bios in, but you would have to renable raid after the flash has completed

can u give me some more detailed instructions?

At the first boot after reinstall just enable raid? But if it wasnt enabled already, isn't my raid gona disapear?

what he means is: when you flash your bios via cd or floppy:

step 1: load into bios, reset defaults, save & exit... computer reboots (this will set your hard drive from raid mode to ide mode)
step 2: load back into bios, set primary boot to cd/floppy, insert cd/floppy, save&exit, reboots into the bios flash
step 2 alternative method: while computer loads, press your setup key (mine is esc), this brings you to your boot menu screen, insert your cd/floppy and choose the coressponding boot device, press enter and it boots into the bios flash
step 3: bios is flashed and your reboot computer, remove cd/floppy after it is rebooted
step 4: load into bios, enable raid mode, change boot order so it boots off your raid, save and exit, reboots

step 4 is important cause then your raids will be re-enabled and you'll be able to boot normally; after all of this, you can reboot back into bios and change any settings that you may have lost when you reset defaults in step 1 (like overclocks and etc)

whenever you flash your bios, its always important to reset your bios settings to default before flashing (step 1) to a new version, if you do not and have overclocked/underclocked your bios before the flash then you may have system issues after the flash

PS I found all of the above info out just recently, week ago or so... cause I was wondering the same thing as you lol. Wanted to know ahead of time cause this tuesday I get my replacement ram back for my system in my rig and Im gonna flash bios before I install windows 7

Last edited:
You have a gigabyte motherboard.

Use Q-flash. Don't use @BioS... DON'T USE IT... I said it already.

Make sure after the flash you run optimized settings then reboot then turn RAID on. Don't try to load any OS's without RAID turned on

Cool_recap, this thread is from 2009. I'm guessing that this is probably not an issue now.

Please pay attention to the post dates so you don't bump old threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back