• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Jump from Dual Core 6600 to Quad Core 8400?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scornduffer

I just bought a Quad Core 8400 and MSI Neo 2 FR combo at Frys for $149. Is the jump in Procressors worth the money? Its a 2nd computer for me. I have an extra 2 gigs of Crucial 8500 DDR 2 laying around unused.:confused:

You went from an e6600 to a Q8400 right (as there are dual and quad versions of the numbers you listed already!!!)??

If so thats a heck of a deal b/c on newegg the Q8400 is $167 and the board is $99 already. Id say simply b/c of the deal saving over $100 on $270 in components is solid.

Well at stock clocks the Q8400 will outperform the E6600 in every way in every program and the same goes for equal overclocks. Now I don't know about that MSI board in detail but if you use a mobo that can do 450+ FSB with a quad core you'll be able to oc it as far as most an E6600. (8x450=3.6GHz) Naturally you'll see a huge boost in programs and tasks that can use the extra cores even if the clock speeds aren't as high.

My q8400, on an p5q-e, overclocks to 3.4ghz @ default vcore and 3.9ghz @ 1.3625. cooled with an OCZ Gladiator MAX. It can do more, but since this is a 24/7 folding rig, I wanted to make sure that it stayed real cool.

I would say that it overclocks better than an E6600, but it depends on what mobo and ram is being used.

Thanks but abother question

You went from an e6600 to a Q8400 right (as there are dual and quad versions of the numbers you listed already!!!)??

If so thats a heck of a deal b/c on newegg the Q8400 is $167 and the board is $99 already. Id say simply b/c of the deal saving over $100 on $270 in components is solid.

I was wondering since they also had an Intel Core i5 Processor 750 & Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R for $199AR. But it takes DDR 3 memory that I would have to buy.

I am using Crucial DDR2 8500 2 gigs that I already have.

What is your question...?

I would have undoubtedly went with hte i5 over Q8400 personally...

Would have to also buy DDR 3

What is your question...?

I would have undoubtedly went with hte i5 over Q8400 personally...

How much DDR 3 memory would it take to run sufficently? 6 GIGS?

That's another $150.00 I would have to spend so would the increase in performance be worth it?

Performance is second to only the HT enabled i7's. It depends on if its worth it. Im not spending the money, you are. My motto is to always get the best you can afford. If you can afford i5, or even i7 and x58, I would go that route personally.

Back