• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Internet companies win the traffic shaping fight

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stratus_ss

Overclockix Snake Charming Senior, Alt OS Content
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...s-win-right-to-manage-traffic/article1332984/

Mirko Bibic, Bell Canada's senior vice-president of regulatory and government affairs, said the ruling gives carriers the right to run their businesses the way they see fit. “We're the experts, and we get the flexibility to determine how to manage our networks"

I was incensed before the ruling, I think I can't see straight right now, and I definately cant formulate my thoughts well at current

Meaning the ISP's can shape their customers traffic as they see fit. For example this could mean that an ISP that is part of a large corporation also offering media services could throttle traffic going to their competitors etc.

Bell in particular thinks you should buy TV from them and they charge a lot of money for their services. So instead they limit their customers to 10 gig down a month and charge them $35/month to do so. They claim that anyone exceeding these amounts is "misusing" the internet

On a related note, they own the entire DSL infrastructure in Canada and any wholesalers have to pay them for usage of the infrastructure. They have a strangle whole on the DSL business in Canada and it isnt fair

Meaning the ISP's can shape their customers traffic as they see fit. For example this could mean that an ISP that is part of a large corporation also offering media services could throttle traffic going to their competitors etc.

I know what it means. I just meant "lolwut?" as kind of a double take type thing. OCF should sponsor a bunch of land being bought just south of the border and set up a bunch of cantennas pointing north.

On a related note, they own the entire DSL infrastructure in Canada and any wholesalers have to pay them for usage of the infrastructure. They have a strangle whole on the DSL business in Canada and it isnt fair

Old government monopoly or just woke up early?

DSL infrastructure is not that advanced science. In Finland there is regulations against how much a company owning the infrastructure can charge others wanting to "borrow" it, but companies have set up their own infra in larger towns with good results (during the last few years).

Old government monopoly or just woke up early?

DSL infrastructure is not that advanced science. In Finland there is regulations against how much a company owning the infrastructure can charge others wanting to "borrow" it, but companies have set up their own infra in larger towns with good results (during the last few years).

Bell was subsidized back in the day to run the telephone wires throughout the country. Now they own the infrastructure and have (had) a strange hold on telecommunications. Cell phones hurt them badly because few people choose Bell (high prices and really really lousy customer service)

At any rate we're stuck with 1 company owning the entire dsl backbone and they abuse us as if our only purpose in life is to make the people at Bell richer. What a horrible horrible company

You better hope other companies are still laying down fiber. At the end it could mean an earlier transition to faster connections, at least in bigger towns.

Yes but then those fiber companies will do as they like as well.

Roger canada has been known to throttle VPN connections and other secure systems, because they assuming people are using them for p2p.

this is areally bad news as it will have a domino effect through out north america, U.S ISP's are already doing this.

Soon it will be you can view what your ISP chooses and when!

They have already started and that didnt take them long.
I am seeding 4 versions of linux right now with combine possible 100 leechers. My upload speed? 2kbs.

Downloading Mythbuntu, my speed? 334 bytes

Normally I have to cap my upload speed because my router will die for all the through-put... not anymore.

It could be coincidence that I am having internet issues, but I doubt that

Ya know, if Comcast had a 'no torrents allowed' plan that cost a few bucks less a month, I'd be all over it. Maybe that's the route they should be taking.

Ya know, if Comcast had a 'no torrents allowed' plan that cost a few bucks less a month, I'd be all over it. Maybe that's the route they should be taking.

really? why is that? Windows doesnt make use of torrents?

^^ too many people are too connected.

a no torrent plan makes it no different, cause then they would have no reason to throttle, cause as we all know it is the P2P users saturating their ENTIRE backend :rolleyes:

Bell in particular thinks you should buy TV from them and they charge a lot of money for their services. So instead they limit their customers to 10 gig down a month and charge them $35/month to do so. They claim that anyone exceeding these amounts is "misusing" the internet

!0 gigs is really low. The wife and I go over that on our cell phones alone.

10G is ridiculous, i hate these companies advertising high speed, share photos and videos with friends and family!

in small print they should have something like "only low quality and between the hours of X and X when your family is online, it will take 10x as long to send them! Oh and forget about streaming those netflix movies your paid for!

10G is ridiculous, i hate these companies advertising high speed, share photos and videos with friends and family!

The average youtube video is about 10 or so megs. Give or take some. Spend a few hours bored.. Then there is the higher quality sites that offer better legal vids. Like Apple trailers or some such. Vimeo offers some neat content in HD.

I buy shared hosting. I do it for one simple fact. My family is thousands of miles away from me. So I tak the time and record simple things that make me closer to my freinds and family. Then upload it to that host. Which takes a lot of bandwidth sometimes.

Another point is. I have inlaws who love to do mail forwards. Sometimes they send a lot of the usual. Which also can eat up some usage just from the amount. I would honestly hate to tell them to not send the stuff they enjoy just because I would not want to be abusing the internets.
I normally do not do torrents. Since I do the Linux thing. I normally do not do much past that. Though looking at the router. The wife and I, ate about 45gigs for the billing cycle for the ISP. On the cell phone carrier, we slurped up about 11gigs. I do not tether. For the just passed cycle.

Back