• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pentium d 950 with a p4 845 heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeviantV1ral

hi im putting together a rig from old parts, i have a pentiumd 950 with an available p4 845 heatsink

as soon as i turn it on the temp sky rockets and crashes

arctic silver 3 and the stock paste is applied on it and mixed, should i clean it up?

or go straight to a cheap after market cooler?

the pentiumd has been running really hot for the past months using the stock cooler, to the point that it stopped booting. well i put it in a diff mobo and it boots but the temp still skyrockets

found out the heatsink wasnt sitting properly hence i tried a p4 heatsink

I actually think you would be better off with either of the 2 options mentioned above, due to the fact that they have more heatpipes (which means more heat can be dissipated to the fins), and also, they all 3 seem to have the same size of fans. Do you have an extremely narrow case, and therefore need something low profile? If that is the case, I would recommend the Thermalright AXP-140, coupled with a 140mm Yate Loon fan, and that should keep you within a reasonable temp range. Although this direction will cost quite a bit more money, I am sure you will see excellent results. I have been using Thermalright's cooling solutions for a few years now, and the only reason I am straying away from them now, is because I am getting ready to go with water cooling.

im making this rig to basically extend the life of my agp rig until i could build a new one, cost is number 1 priority 2nd priority is noise

im making this rig to basically extend the life of my agp rig until i could build a new one, cost is number 1 priority 2nd priority is noise

How much are you looking at budget wise? If you are looking to future proof a little bit, the Xigmatek I linked and the CM HSF might be the best choices for you. As far as I know, the TR AXP-140 that I linked to is only for s775, with no official word of compatibility for newer sockets. Due to the fact that it will work with a 140mm fan, it may be your best choice for quiet. As far as cheap, the Cooler Master HSF that Evilsizer linked will be your best bet. I do think the absolute best price: performance will come from the Xigmatek HDT-S1283. :beer:

DS,
you can pick up the LGA1366 adapter kit or the LGA1156 and it will work with that HS. they use the same notch in the middle of all their hs's. i just think they dont want people use some of their other hs's that are good.

DS,
you can pick up the LGA1366 adapter kit or the LGA1156 and it will work with that HS. they use the same notch in the middle of all their hs's. i just think they dont want people use some of their other hs's that are good.

I will have to look into that. The last time I had really taken the time to check it out, the official word was s775 only. Of course that was right after it was released. I have seen one review on it a while back, and it looked to be a very good cooler in terms of performance. Also, having the option to use a 120mm or 140mm fan can also give a great balance of noise to performance.

arctic silver 3 and the stock paste is applied on it and mixed, should i clean it up?

Always clean off old thermal paste with the highest percentage Isopropyl Alcohol you can get your hands on. I use 91%, but I've used as low as 70% in the past.

Also, go for a cheap aftermarket heatsink. :D

I bet that if you cleaned all the paste off and applied new it work work fine.
The old paste is probably rock hard and preventing any contact between cpu and HSF.

Back