• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 Wont Boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

onefstsnake

Well I installed Windows 7 home oem on my new rig and everything went perfect. Restarted a few times for updates etc.

I have Win7 installed on my 640gb HD, I also have all my movies on a 1tb HD.

Now windows wont boot if the 1tb drive is not connected.

I went into the bios and made the 640 the primary boot disc. Still wont boot.
Says, "Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter"

Now if I connect the 1tb drive it boots fine. There is nothing windows related on the 1tb drive, just movies.
Ive tried swapping SATA ports, cables, even disconnecting everything but the 640 drive.

Last edited:
It sounds like Windows has unwisely chosen to put its little 100M boot partition on the 1tb drive for some reason. Try unplugging the 1tb drive and running a repair install from the disc. Hopefully that will correct the problem.

I just happened to have skimmed this article, might be of interest. It seems to be a different problem, or not?

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9139991/Windows_7_endless_reboot_answer_evades_Microsoft

Looks like im going to wait till Win 7 goes SP1....2?

At least Microsoft is consistent.
Yes, it's a different problem. The people referenced were upgrading Vista and not performing clean installs. There is a very good reason we always recommend people backup their files and perform a clean install.

I did a clean install and for some reason it put some files onto a second drive causing it not to boot properly.

All is well now.

Hey guys, I'm having the same issue. I installed Windows 7 onto a system with two hard drives, one OS and one not, and when the not-OS drive is unplugged I get a disk boot failure error.

I know clean install with no extra drives attached works, but is there any way to fix this without reinstalling the OS? Google pointed me towards using the installation disc's command prompt and "bootsect /nt60 c: /mbr" but that didn't work.

Back