• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 920s on a server motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FudgeNuggets

I was wondering, since they're similar processors.... If I were to get a motherboard that could handle 2 Xeon socket 1366 CPUs, could I use 2 i7 920s without ECC RAM and have it work? This way you could have 8 cores or 16 logicals?

Last edited:
no...you need x series xeons...w series and i7 desktop CPUs are missing the extra HT link needed for 2P operation.

no...you need x series xeons...w series and i7 desktop CPUs are missing the extra HT link needed for 2P operation.

so what then if it isnt a 2P server board? i have wondered this a bit, i mean if it is single socket. LGA1366 has cpu to cpu bridge using QPI so i dont get why it wouldnt be possible. not only that but we see Xeon being used on desktop LGA1366. now they both have all the same pins unless what your saying is. intel disabled the QPI link to another cpu on die with desktop cpus.

Back