• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swiftech Storm rev2 and AM3 motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SoBePmp

My MSI 790FX-GD70 motherboard will be arriving tomorrow and I was wanting to use my Storm rev 2 with it. My question is will the AM2 mounting bracket work with an AM3 board? Also the storm has been discontinued and I'm wondering where I can buy the AM2 mounting bracket.

The Storm has been way discontinued and is not a feasible block for today's CPU's. It was the flagship of it's day with single core CPU's, but it would struggle if you are trying to use this on today's multicore....IMO. I don't see an AM3 hold down for even the GTZ so I would assume an AM2 should work finr.

I've been out of the AMD world since my 4400+ and Conroe, if I'm wrong the AMD fanboys can chime in.

Last edited:
Unless 2-3c is worth it to you, the GTZ can be had for less than 50.00, excluding the AMD bracket which has to be gotten seperately either way.

SoBePmp, does your mobo come with a backplate? I know the backplate for my AM2+ board worked just fine with 6-32 studs and the springs and knurled brass nuts that came with the Fuzion V 1 I am using on my Ph II system.

"http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835708019

dont let the price fool you , its a high performance block .Am2 mounting will work on am3 board ."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

+1, Frozen CPU sells these for $49.95 that last I looked....I got one about two weeks ago fromthe Egg for $35, well made, comes with all the mounting hardware....

and it lowered my temps, idle not so much, but full load it made a huge difference, about 5*c....

a little nugget...

laterzzzzz..............

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835708019

dont let the price fool you , its a high performance block .Am2 mounting will work on am3 board .
The price is certainly right. I checked out some reviews on this block, I just might pick one up.

SoBePmp, does your mobo come with a backplate? I know the backplate for my AM2+ board worked just fine with 6-32 studs and the springs and knurled brass nuts that came with the Fuzion V 1 I am using on my Ph II system.
I'm not sure if it comes with a backplate, I'll find out today when it gets here. My main concern at this point is that the Storm rev 2 may not be a feasible block for today's CPU's.

You can try it and see how it performs. It definitely will work well enough to keep anything bad from happening to your processor at worst and at best it might perform half decent so that you can put off buying a new waterblock right away.

Back