• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

comp beeps and stops working

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aman

i have this really old compaq computer my brother uses. For some reason it just stopped working. He presses the button it turns one and beeps once and then turns off. I tried applying new thermal paste and checked all cords.

Any ideas what could be happening?

i have this really old compaq computer my brother uses. For some reason it just stopped working. He presses the button it turns one and beeps once and then turns off. I tried applying new thermal paste and checked all cords.

Any ideas what could be happening?
Not sure about the COMPAQ but on old DELLs you could just swap the memory modules around and fix that.

try re-seating all cards, and if needed, you might need to bypass the power switch, but test it 1st with a continuity tester while not hooked up to the board.
I have seen power switches go for no reason except wear. I had to replace a power sw on a computer I built for my former boss..we went to radio Shack and got a momentary sw and drilled a hole in one of his drive bay covers and hooked it up and viola it worked again...although it does look kinda corny having a big red button to push....small sw but big button.
If you know what you are doing, then you can short the power pins on the mobo to see if it will startup...but I only recomend this if you know for sure that the pins to start the computer are indeed the ones you are attempting to use.
You do not mention how old the comp is...could be too much dust to let the fans run, or the power supply isn't up to it. That would be my 1st guess. If you can get ahold of another power supply that is similar to what he has, then swap them out and see if that is the cause.

BTW, is it a short beep or long? a short beep would indicate a normal startup and if it is then that the comp reboots then I would think your power sup is hosed

Back