• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 dead Asus R2E... what to buy now

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

silenceme

I'm in the process of RMA'ing my second R2E.. which has had the same issue as the first... South Bridge overheat, triggering auto shutdown.

Overclock was moderate 3.8GHZ 24/7 stable.. 1.25v CPU and 1.65 ram voltage all else on auto...

Since this is the second one to die with exactly the same issue.. should I risk a third? What else should I get.

Cheers

Hmm, odd. 2 in a row with the same issue? :confused: Well I would RMA the dead R2E and get either the P6T Deluxe or the Gigabyte X58. You can always sell the replaced R2E on ebay.

Sounds like a fan aimed at the SB is a good idea, it sounds less like an RMA issue and more like a case airflow issue to me.

I'm currently running the ASUS WS revolution board, i replaced the stock paste on the onboard cooling with Gelid Extreme and it helped a huge amount, keep in mind this is on the HAF-932 case which has disturbingly high airflow. But my onboard temps see 55c max these days.

Hmm I know its odd. My friend also purchased an R2E at the same time and also had his south bridge fail. The reseller reckons its not a batch fault...but they do have higher then normal returns on this line... Its in a HAF932 which has plenty of airflow. The software monitors were showing around 50 deg at load on both the boards then they suddenly die.....

Could my PSU or another component be causing as issue?

I can get a refund as the board has died with in 28 days. But I'm not sure what to buy now.. Gigabyte UD5 or maybe P6T WS PRO?

umm well i dont have any issues with shutdowns ... i didnt even know there was a option for the mobo to shutdown due to the SB overheating. i have no fan pointed at my southbridge so i highly dought it is the SB.

you said "die" but autoshutdown is not dieing... if it can run fine at stock speeds it isnt a SB issue at all. need more details as to the rest of your pc..

I had an overheating ICH7 on my G31 board. Gave me hard reboots randomly. Put a fan on it (after feeling that it was HOT) and everything was better.

I had an overheating ICH7 on my G31 board. Gave me hard reboots randomly. Put a fan on it (after feeling that it was HOT) and everything was better.
i have my doubts about that bob, sorry. my Atom 330 board has a ICH7 with no HS or fan pointed at or near it. it is burning hot to the touch with only a HD attached. i have yet to have it randomly reboot. random reboots is also a sign of a bad psu or possible low voltage on the cpu if ocing.

though in the end a fan is the cheapest route to see if that fixes the problem.

umm well i dont have any issues with shutdowns ... i didnt even know there was a option for the mobo to shutdown due to the SB overheating. i have no fan pointed at my southbridge so i highly dought it is the SB.

you said "die" but autoshutdown is not dieing... if it can run fine at stock speeds it isnt a SB issue at all. need more details as to the rest of your pc..

Sorry it started as an auto shutdown. But it then powers up and immediately shuts down again. So I cant try it again at stock. Was same situation with my first board.

Spec wise:

Core i7 920
Prolimatech Megahalems with push-pull set up.
Corsair HX850
6GB Corsair XMS3 7-7-7-20
Sapphire 4890 1GB Vapor-X
Asus R2E
Coolermaster HAF932. no additional fans as
2x 500GB WD RE3 Raid 0.

Hmm, did you put the ram in slots 2-4-6 ? I tried putting my ram in slots 1-3-5 and i got the same "powers up and immediately shuts down" problem.

See if only using 1 stick of ram will let the board power up.

Hmm, did you put the ram in slots 2-4-6 ? I tried putting my ram in slots 1-3-5 and i got the same "powers up and immediately shuts down" problem.

See if only using 1 stick of ram will let the board power up.

Actually managed to get into the BIOS with normal set up and hardware sensor shows 88 deg @ idle.... then shutdown when i attempted to boot into windows. Restarted with SB overheat message..

Tried with different memory set ups and same issue. :bang head

Back