• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is this possible..???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dusnoetos

OK I think that what I want to do is possible but.....??

Here is my situation and what i want to do.:

we have multiple computers. Mine (main one in sig) is the main computer. My Rig is in the living room and my wifes computer (Not listed in sig) is in the bedroom.

This is the best set up for our situation..... But every once in a while I am unable to use my computer (due to other stuff going on in the living-room- mostly due to my young child)..

SO is it possible to set up a remote connection between the two computers where I could be at the wifes rig but still play games on my machene...just using the other computer like an auxiliary terminal. Id use a KVM switch but I Dont have cabling long enough... so can the same thing be done via the home Ethernet connection?

Sorry if this does not make séance.. have been sick and one of the meds I have been given kinda messes with my head.... so feel Free to ask clarifying questions.

Last edited:
Im not certain of any 'remote desktop' connection that is even close ot being fast enough to do that..

I agree I don't think remote desktop will handle it, but it is easily tested. Also if I remember correctly you are going to see some lag with a KVM and gaming. I might be wrong about that though.

One Idea would be to use a dvi to Ethernet converter and wireless mouse and keyboard. I have never tried it, just a thought.

I've done it with Remote Desktop but it was ugly. Game ran fine but it was like having massive input lag from the mouse and keyboard and didn't really get much done.

Ya I suppose the connection speed would be an issue...

Well if I were to use a KVM the cable would have to be around 30 feet long...
I am not even sure if they make something that long....and if they did I would assume that their would be video signal degradation.?

In the end all I really need to do is transfer video and mouse/keyboard signals from one room to another.....

Just swap out the towers, use cable ties to keep your cables organized to make the transitions easier. Maybe that won't work for you, but I can't think of anything else that wouldn't involve a lot of cable extensions;)

Back