• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reccoment a CPU & PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spyral

Registered
Asus M4N82 Mobo
ati 5770
4 gig ddr3
Recycled sata drive from old machine
recycled dvd drive from old machine
old case & fans et cetera

What CPU would be best to get? And what PSU would I need to run it?

I would like to invest inthe mobo (might seem overkill compared to the rest) as in the past it seems to be the part that's gone the most. Also it allows future upgradability (extra gfx card et cetera) and gives a stable foundation
I would be on a budget most of which would be spent on the mobo and grapics card (unless a cheaper mobo with the same funcionality could be decided)

ideas?

It honestly depends on your budget. Something like a 955 would be very good, but for less cost you can get a decent chip. It all depends on what you want to do with it.

Almost regardless of the chip I would look at getting a Corsair PSU. Calculate the wattage and get the appropriate one.

I like Seasonic for PSU's myself but I also have a corsair 550VX psu that I am happy with as well

It honestly depends on your budget. Something like a 955 would be very good, but for less cost you can get a decent chip. It all depends on what you want to do with it.

Almost regardless of the chip I would look at getting a Corsair PSU. Calculate the wattage and get the appropriate one.

I was looking at the 955... but isn't there a tri-core version that would be cheaper? It may suit my needs better.

Also how do I calculate wattage?

I was looking at the 955... but isn't there a tri-core version that would be cheaper? It may suit my needs better.

Also how do I calculate wattage?

AMD dominates under $100. They have quad, tri and dual. You haven't stated your needs yet, so if you'd like to mention that - it could help. A budget for at least the chip and PSU would help too.

Check out the PSU Calculator for information on how much wattage you need.

Strictly speaking I dont 'need' a high end pc at all. I mostly want to play oldies, I would like to run the new UT, oblivion and fallout3 at decent spec and have a fast enough pc for level editing with the new UT

Strictly speaking I dont 'need' a high end pc at all. I mostly want to play oldies, I would like to run the new UT, oblivion and fallout3 at decent spec and have a fast enough pc for level editing with the new UT...

I was thinking of this :

ASUS M4N82 Deluxe AM3/AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI AMD Motherboard

MSI R5770-PM2D1G Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire

CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model

I would need a cheap functional PSU though (have to sell old bits to fund that one!) but I have all of the rest...

Last edited:
Back