• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why are x58 mobos so pricy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shadowfire1

I would think that with the CPU doing stuff the motherboard previously had to, they would be less expensive, not more.

X58 = highend... the question should be why are P55 midrange/highend boards costing the same as X58 boards...

BEH! The reason they are so high is to offset the prices of the highest end cpu's :sarcasm
It is because it is the latest and greatest, and they have to pay their engineers for the designs....and besides, they know that they CAN get that much money for them...they charge what the market will bear and lets face it...from reading these posts in our forums that some people are willing to pay a ton of money to be on the bleeding edge of technology.

In short, "It's just the way of things" :beer: :screwy:

When x58/i7 is blowing anything AMD has to offer out of the water in terms of performance, its worth it. Given the deals lately from i7/x58, you can pickup an i7 920 and motherboard for about $350 (or pickup an open box from the egg and save $25-$50 on the board).

Considering the performance and the overclocking ability of these things (4ghz is usually not even breaking a sweat for the 920) its a pretty decent upgrade for the money.

Yah no serious competition (there is competition but not that CPU performance level) so Intel is making money while they can. They have a ton of lawsuits they are going to have to settle so don't expect price drops anytime soon.

And yah open box/used you can get them pretty cheap (for intel)

Back