• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New HTPC Builder. Advice and tips needed.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brutal-Force

I have been looking around for a while at building an HTPC. I am getting tired of television having more infomercials and commercials and crap programming that I don't watch. I spend quite a bit of time watching Hulu and other video sites.

So here goes. I had an extra E5200 and 2 gigs of ram and a low profile 8400GS laying around so I went out and bought me a nice slim-line desktop case that looks similar to my stereo reciever and a ASUS P5KPL-AM SE. I have it OC'ed to 3.2Ghz.

I ran into a few problems, initially I tried to run a TV tuner that was neither compatible with Vista or 7. After running around trying to find a way to go from SVGA to either RGB/Component or S-Video, it turns out I have to have a video card that supports S-Video. I have an older TV (480i) that does not have DVI or HDMI. It had a plug that resembles a SVGA that says RGB, but I coudlnt find anything about it. Fortunately for me I had an old 8400GS laying around that I was able to unscrew the mounting plate to fit it in the low profile case.

Ok, so I have my HTPC running, next step is getting a new 40" LCD around Christmas. I am hoping prices come down.

Now for the questions:

1. I am currently useing my HTC G1 using Gmote to control stuff when I don't want to pull out a keyboard or a trackball, however the control is limited because there is no right click. Does anyone have a wireless (small) option that works well?

2. I have my HTPC OC'ed to 3.2Ghz, I haven't changed the voltage, but would it be better on the electric bill to underclock, leave stock, or is 3.2 gonna be ok?

3. Are there Linux options that work faster/better for HTPCs?

4. Is there anyone who has dumped standard cable in lieu of a HTPC with Internet?

5. Once I go LCD TV will I be able to go from Video Card straight to LCD TV just like a computer monitor?

6. Is it worth getting a Media Card for captures from TV like Tivo?

Any input from seasoned HTPC owners would be appreciated.

Oh and in case anyone wonders why I spent money on the HTPC before the LCD... this build cost me about 180 dollars and I wanted to know it works before I cut the cable and how well it will be on an LCD.

http://www.hec-group.com.tw/pccase/7k/

Intel E5200 @3.2Ghz
2 GB DDR667
Nvidia 8400GS
80 GB WD Caviar

Ive been using Windows 7. The built in Media center works very well IMO. Linux would be faster but im not sure if it would be better.

4. Is there anyone who has dumped standard cable in lieu of a HTPC with Internet?
I have considered it. With a good antenna/tuner you can get alot of channels free and alot also come in HD. (depending on your area)

5. Once I go LCD TV will I be able to go from Video Card straight to LCD TV just like a computer monitor?
Of course. I have my HTPC hooked up via HDMI to my 42" LG. Now with the 8400gs you can use a dvi to hdmi cable.
But DVI doesnt support audio so you will need separate audio connections.

I bought a Visontek 650 tuner card. Has inputs for cable/HD and antenna. I have recorded quite a bit with it.

Yeah I put windows 7 on it, it works very well. I just wanted to see if I could decrease load times. Maybe look into a small SSD.

So your LG is hooked straight to the SVGA/DVI out?

I figured you could use the Media Card for Captures, but do you really use it alot? I can barely find anything on TV worth recording that I can't already find on some website.

Load times for?

Well my MB has an HDMI out port that Im using to go straight to the TV.
You can use at DVI to HDMI cable for your rig. I assume you dont have an HDMI out on your GPU.

HDMI sends audio and video, while DVI is just video.

I use the tuner card to recieve cable and antenna signal. I usually record shows im going to miss while at work then watch them when im home.
I wouldnt say a tv tuner is a must have item though.

I am using my TV as a TV. I have no pc input, nor am I using a tuner right now. I have always had PC tuners in all my systems, but compatability has always been an issue. Especially the cheaper PCI tuners. With the start of Vista 64 and the switchover from analog to digital it has many tuners obsolete. this is why I am forgoing tuners right off the bat.

The reason I ask about input devices is because I want a useable/hideable solution. I am using my G1 to do the input which does the job about 85% of the time, but i leave a keyboard hooked up in case I have to go into bios or if my G1 has a hiccup. I might just get a wireless trackball and keyboard and build a slideout under my coffee table.

As for the software questions, I guess no one has built a HTPC specific software that has faster load times and is optimized for HTPCs only. Has anyone installed a SSD for their HTPC operating system?

I am actually referring to the operating system boot up time. I don't want to leave my HTPC on all the time. Right now it takes maybe 3 or 4 min. to boot up.

If a SSD will make it boot up in 30 seconds, then thats probably the route I will go, but if I only shave off 1 min. then likely I will stick with a normal drive. It is a EIDE drive though, but still, if the difference of 2 min. cost me 2 hundred dollars, then I will stick with the 4 min. boot up.

My HTPC only takes about a minute to boot. Using a 640gb Western Digital Black drive. I have the OS on a 100gb partition.

I think it helps that all my games and other non essential programs are on my other rig.
I hardly have any non essential startup processes running.

Last edited:
1. I am currently useing my HTC G1 using Gmote to control stuff when I don't want to pull out a keyboard or a trackball, however the control is limited because there is no right click. Does anyone have a wireless (small) option that works well?

I use the ATI Remote Wonder II. It has a all the mouse function built into it. Works beautifully, however I dont know that it is supported in windows any longer (obviously I am a linux guy)

2. I have my HTPC OC'ed to 3.2Ghz, I haven't changed the voltage, but would it be better on the electric bill to underclock, leave stock, or is 3.2 gonna be ok?

Again I cant speak for windows but I have media centres that run on Sempron 1.8 (dual cores) works just fine. In linux there is a driver for nvidia cards (for the 8xxx series and up) which offloads most of the different codecs to the gpu. When playing high-def content my cpu load sits around 10% on each core (in case you are wondering its call VDPAU)

More then you can count. My current favorite is to go with Mythbuntu (stripped down) and install Xbox Media Centre as a program to handle all of my media. The caveat with linux is with Silverlight. Its getting better, but if you watch a lot of silverlight content, linux isnt quite there yet.

There are all kinds of options though. XMBC offers its own distrobution, then there is Linux MCE, as well as really any desktop distrobution with a few extra programs installed

You can go as low as a Celeron 2.5 ghz (the old p4 celly), say an 8400gs and 2 gigs of ram. This, in general, is more then enough for just about everything you need. I would go with a low end dual core just to have the extra head room, but for linux its not really needed

I do, I haven't had any form of actual "tv" in almost 5 years.

Yes, but you have to make sure you are buying the right equipment. I use a 37 inch LCD TV from 4 years ago as my primary monitor, works fantastic, has HDMI, VGA, Component and Composites in. Although, I pipe my sound from Linux to my receiver through SPDIF but if you make smart buys then yes.

This really depends on you. I personally just download stuff. In Canada it still falls under a grey legal area to download tv shows. I suppose if you pay for movie channels or like to rewatch sporting events it might be up your alley.

Any input from seasoned HTPC owners would be appreciated.

Oh and in case anyone wonders why I spent money on the HTPC before the LCD... this build cost me about 180 dollars and I wanted to know it works before I cut the cable and how well it will be on an LCD.

http://www.hec-group.com.tw/pccase/7k/

Intel E5200 @3.2Ghz
2 GB DDR667
Nvidia 8400GS
80 GB WD Caviar

My main media centre is a

2400-BE. It runs at stock I think 2.3 ghz
2 gigs of ram
Nvidia 8200 (integrated graphics)
and 6.5 TB of hard drive space (500gig OS and 4 1.5TB's)

I have built 3 media centres for people with similar hardware and I have not had any complaints about performance. (One is my fiance's parents and believe me, I would hear about it if it wasn't performing)

My understanding is a Vista based MCE would be more hardware intensive but I can't really speak to that.

I wouldnt say a tv tuner is a must have item though.

IMHO It is not an HTPC without a tuner card. Its a video playback machine.

Depending on your location as already stated an antenna can bring in all the big networks for you, for FREEEEEEEEEEEE. In very high quality :) (No compression like with cable). I did this and get about 25 digital channels in South Jersey. Only thing I am missing is ABC now because of all the networks, they are the only ones that went back to VHF after the digital transition. (They were broadcasting digital on UHF before the transition so I was able to pull it in with my UHF antenna I built). But they have it on ABC.com so it all works out.

As mentioned sleep mode should be fine. Allow it to wake from USB device (some do not have this option at default)

There are plenty of wireless KB/Mouse in one packages ranging from $25 to $150 or more. The more you spend the happier you will be. MY HTPC I left with my sister, using some no name cheap Wireless KB I bought used, and an Anyware universal remote to control PC, TV and Receiver. (Important to have receiver control if you have multiple devices connected, or if you play back anything in DTS Dolby and use pass through digital audio. As the PC will no longer control volume level)

I also use Media Center but it is running Vista with TV pack :) Played around with the DXVA codec, for GPU acceleration, but since I am using a low power dual core in it and it is not an encoding device (I have a quad core PC for DVD ripping/re-encoding), the slight lag associated with GPU accelerated video is not worth it IMHO. Lag only occurs when skipping forward or back in the video, but I do that enough for it to be annoying.

If you do use Media center there is a great plugin for it, I forget the name I have it bookmarked at my sisters hous but not here. When she gets online after Church I will post up the link if someone else has not. It is called Media Browser or something, and offers a different video browsing experience. There are also youtube MC plugins to browse youtube, and I would hope Hulu has one as well.

I am getting more proficient with my G1, I found that it in fact does have drag and drop and right click. Its just different than a mouse/trackball. Took some getting used to.

As for the tuner cards, I am just not impressed by the lack of support and the bugs in 64 bit software. For almost 9 years I have used tuners and ALWAYS had problems.

I decided against Linux because my main Computer is Windows and will act as my Video Bank because it has all the storage capacity.

I am still debating the issue with the Cable and I am almost convinced. I figure I will save $50 dollars a month. In 6 months I will have almost enough for a 32"LCD and in 10 Mo. a 40-42".

I also like being able to stream music. My only debate is continue to use my stereo as my main reciever/power output or get a high end sound card. For $$$ purposes I will stick with sound out ---> stereo. HTPCS can get expensive quickly. Fortunately for me this go around I already had the E5200, 8400GS, 2 Gigs of ram and cables.

As for control Logitec makes a really cool MX Air mouse, control your PC similar to a Nintendo Wii. Same situation with the TV, I've got a ATI HD 3850 video card, will do 1080p through HDMI and also does component and composite, works well. The power on/off issue, I've ket everything very basic so the whole setup is running off a 250Watt PSU, and when in sleep mode the power consumtion is tiny. I've also set it up for Wake up on LAN, so anywone in the house can wake it up and watch movies (listen to audio) over the Network in any room in the house. Yeah it kinda sucks that I have two remotes (one for TV, reciever, cable box & lights, and one for the HTPC) but with the Power pass through on the components, I turn on the cable box and it powers up everything. As for TVIO, and cable boxes... personal preference... I don't really watch shows, I'm more of a movie buff. So I've just cancelled my cable alltogather and spent the extra money on more bandwith

I decided against Linux because my main Computer is Windows and will act as my Video Bank because it has all the storage capacity.

I'm not quite sure I understand this statement. Linux has next to no compatibility issues when it comes to file sharing.

If you have them setup as a network share then it doesnt matter which OS you use.

For example if you had a linux server and a windows media centre, there is not a sharing problem there. I have done this in the past without issue.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you are saying. I am not pitching for linux but simply looking to dispell some myths.

I'm not quite sure I understand this statement. Linux has next to no compatibility issues when it comes to file sharing.

If you have them setup as a network share then it doesnt matter which OS you use.

For example if you had a linux server and a windows media centre, there is not a sharing problem there. I have done this in the past without issue.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you are saying. I am not pitching for linux but simply looking to dispell some myths.

just reinforcing this. you can go Linux -> Windows and Windows -> Linux with very little to no issues (re: file sharing).

My server is running Linux (ubuntu) and shares to all Windows machines on my network with no issue, been up 24/7 for about 2 months now with zero issues.

:comp:

Question regarding the file sharing... Will this also work with iTunes? Can I have my main files on a Linux system and run them with iTunes?

Back