• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Build Need Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

VoonZ

screenshot20091107at512.png

i guys, i'm new here! this will be the new desktop i am planning to build. So far it totals up to 800+ Firstly, i do not OC at all, i play games alot, run quite abit of memory intensive applications and watch alot of movies on my computer.

What do you think of my build? should i be taking out anything or adding anything? I am trying to keep my budget as low as possible. I still have to get a monitor and speaker :bang head

any suggestions? thank you very much

Hello VoonZ and welcome to the forums.

If you are on a budget you've made the right choice going with AMD.

Your proposed rig sounds like a very good setup with the added bonus of getting a rebate on some of the items.

The only thing i would personally change is the case ... but it's all down to personal preference... if you like it, it's not an issue.

As the person above suggested youy could get 1600MHz ram but i'm not from the US so i dont know what the difference in price is

I'm no expert... wait for a few other suggestions... and good luck with the build!

thanks for your input guys. mayve i should go with a more budget casing, then switch the CPU and Mobo with i7 + P55. Is it better than the AMD? i know intel cpu tend to be more expensive than AMD, is it even worth the upgrade?

i've switched my ram to 1600 and now the whole unit is slightly over 900 excluding monitors and stuff

Core i7s are generally faster, so if you use CPU intensive tasks you will notice a difference. You also get hyperthreading so keep that in mind.

The OCZ platinum kit you originally had was FINE. You dont need faster ram, it only increases your perfomance very little. Keep the 1333 ram and save money.

-D

Picture is a red "X" for me (but its likely on my end as I am at work). I wil swing by this thread at home tonight.

Anything for a fellow Buckeye!

Go with a 4870 or a 5850 if you can swing it, the 4870 is a tad faster and about 30 bucks cheaper. Drop the quad and go dual core, games don't use quad. If you need to squeeze cash out, get a different case. There are plenty of cases which are as good if not better for 30-40 dollars on newegg.

And as noted, faster RAM will cost you more but not really give you much anything in terms of performance.

Moving to dual core and getting a cheaper case and upgrading to a 5850 you'll see a DRASTIC improvement in gaming performance.

Great choice in PSU! However, for 95%+ of setups, including this one, a single rail holds no advantages over a dual or vice versa.

I figured the single rail would let him use the PSU in a more demanding setup in the future if he so chose to.. IE more future proof.

Also.. GFX's have a tendency of coming out every so often in high power demanding versions and if the OP wants to upgrade to one of those and extra 8-10 bucks now would make sense to me.

Last edited:
That really looks pretty good to me, i would trust a corsair PSU over an OCZ, but that's just me.
If you don't use CPU intensive stuff, go for a Phenom II 550 x2, 3.1ghz rather then 3.2 for the 955 and it's a dual core, but it's much cheaper.

Back