• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mouse periodically freezing/unfreezing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blink922

So for some reason within the last week, my mouse has been continually freezing up for 1-3 seconds then unfreezing. It does this every few minutes or so, sometimes multiple times within the same minute. I remember this happened to me before I just don't remember how to fix it. I tried updating my video card driver and reinstalled mouse drivers but that didn't help. Any ideas what it could be?

I've tried running spyware/virus scans and switching USB ports. Maybe it could just be my mouse? The only reason I think it's not is because this happened before but I guess it very well could be.

Do you have a visible optical light? Is it wired?

My MX510 (wired) had a freezing issue, which ended up being related to the wire inside being damaged. I isolated the damaged area, removed it, and re-spliced the wires. Have not had any freezing since.

Do you have a visible optical light? Is it wired?

My MX510 (wired) had a freezing issue, which ended up being related to the wire inside being damaged. I isolated the damaged area, removed it, and re-spliced the wires. Have not had any freezing since.

Yeah it's wired but no visible light. So you were experiencing the same thing? I'm starting to think more and more its the mouse. I've had it for a couple years so it's probably time to pick up a new one anyway.

I figured it was a wire issue because the light would go out, and if I wacked it enough it would work again.

A few months ago, I found a bad solder joint in one of my mice, but more often the cable breaks where it exits the case because its strain relief has sharp 90-degree outside corners, and the cable insulation is unusually soft and can be cut through by them. Round off those corners.

I was having the same problem on my W7 install, reinstalled Vista and problem went away, and now it's happening in Vista after I updated my system.

Definititely a software issue, it doesn't happen AT ALL in any Linux distro I have.

Try a Linux live CD and see if the problem happens there for you.

I was having the same problem on my W7 install, reinstalled Vista and problem went away, and now it's happening in Vista after I updated my system.

Definititely a software issue, it doesn't happen AT ALL in any Linux distro I have.

Try a Linux live CD and see if the problem happens there for you.

Syd,

Try taking out the mouse ball and clean it with alcohol along with your internal rollers and mouse pad.

Back