• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Graphics Card with Audio HDMI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brunel07

Hi,

Im looking to have one output HDMI from the PC to my amplifier carrying both Audio and Video. It seems like the most sensible thing is to buy a graphic card with Video and Audio output. However most of them just output Video. Is there anything out there currently that do this?

Also I was thinking it might be a solution to somehow connect my sound card to my graphics card and do it that way.

Cool :)

How does the audio quality compare with that of a dedicated audio card?

To be honest I couldn't really tell you... I don't have the equpment to notice the difference. I know it has HD audio (7.1 i think)

I have a X-Fi soundcard that came with my MB and the HDMI audio sounds the same since i only have 2.1 speaker on my monitor lol

Ok, well I appreciate your help, and if anyone has any experience tinkering with HD audio please let me know how the two would compare.

Almost every nVidia GTX (260,275,285,295) gpu has a spdif connector, to hook up from the mobo to the card, for use with HDMI (audio and video). Although, if all you're looking to do is playback HD video/audio, a GTX series card is major overkill, so is the ATi 4 and 5 series for that matter. Now if you're gaming as well, then it would be justifiable.

So, I can use a cable to connect either the sound card or the mobo to my graphics card via a spdif connector, to output not only the video but also the audio over the graphics cards HDMI cable.

Is this all correct? Am I right in thinking that the sound I would get out of this setup would be top notch HD audio to drive a 5.1 setup? I dont know if the spdif connector from the sound card to the graphics card would limit the quality.

So, I can use a cable to connect either the sound card or the mobo to my graphics card via a spdif connector, to output not only the video but also the audio over the graphics cards HDMI cable.

Yes this is correct. As far as the soundcard goes, it depends on the output options on the card. I'm doubting it would be compatible, as coaxial and optical are typical spdif output options on independent soundcards.

Is this all correct? Am I right in thinking that the sound I would get out of this setup would be top notch HD audio to drive a 5.1 setup? I dont know if the spdif connector from the sound card to the graphics card would limit the quality.

The output sound will only be as good as the input. If your motherboard comes equipped with HD Audio, rerouting that through the Videocards HDMI output, shouldn't diminish the quality. Similarly, shoving a nonHD signal through an HDMI output, won't increase the quality.

This is a hot topic today :p

I'm using a HD4650 in my HTPC for just this purpose. It has an onboard Audio Chip (no SPDIF jumper needed) and sends LPCM upto 7.1, or sends Dolby/DTS bitstreams to my receiver.

Do you need true high-Def codec BITSTREAMING to your receiver? I believe only the newest 5xxx series allow true High-Def codec Bitstreaming, but that is not a huge deal as long as your BluRay software can decode the HD Bitstream to Linear PCM (no real difference if the Software decodes it, or if the Receiver decodes it TBH)...

:cool:

Back