• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Celeron Coppermine overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

paradoxmonkey

Hi,

I have a AOpen AX34 Pro II and a Celeron "Coppermine" running 900Mhz at stock. I have managed to overclock it to 1.1Ghz (124Mhz FSB) however the motherboard/cpu won't let me set the FSB to 133Mhz - setting the jumper for the higher FSB and I get no video output.

Is it that the Coppermine can't handel such a high FSB or what?

The Coppermine is able to handle a 133MHz FSB with ease - many models did that at stock settings.

The Coppermine's architectural limitations, though, usually keep it well below 1.2GHz. Remember the failed Pentium III 1133 launch in 2000? The fact that they couldn't even keep them stable from the factory at that speed and canceled a whole model launch should tell the story right there.

The Tualatin core Pentium III-S and Celerons could tick 1.5-1.6GHz with some frequency. A whole manufacturing process shrink was necessary to get past the .18 micron process the Coppermine was built on, despite the Coppermine's inherent cool running and low power use.

ETA : I bought and installed an AX34 Pro-II for a friend's mom to replace a blown up BX-6 that had been fitted with a Slocket adapter. The AOpen was a great board. Always ran that Celeron at 1000 (it was a Celeron 633) with no voltage bump and no issues at all. You should be able to give it a voltage bump up to 1.8v or so, too, to help it along if need be. Provided the cooling doesn't suck, it should be fine with lots of voltage.

Back