• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A super quick question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rashal

Registered
Hello, it's PC upgrade time again and I'm intrested in your opinion about this rig -

‏CPU - Core i7 920, s1366, 8MB‎
MB - DFI ‏LANPARTY DK X58-T3eH6 LGA1366 Core i7, Intel X58, DDR3 1600, 3xPCI-E‎
Memory - ‏3x2GB Corsair Dominator Triple Channel ‎
Video Card - ‏HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 DX11 2xDVI HDMI DP PCI-E‎
HD - ‏500GB 7200RPM, 16MB, SATA II WD5000AAKS‎
PSU - ‏PurePower W0121 600W (24pin)

I got two main questions -

1) Will this rig be enough to run games smoothly for the next 3 years considering that I dont care playing on low resolutions and without AA and AF?

2) Do you think I should get different pieces of hardware with similar prices (like an ASUS MB insted of the DFI, or different memory and PSU)?

I'm planning to buy this tomorrow. Thanks for your time.

The PC is fine and will last a long time. The video card, well it depends on what games you want to play, and at what resolution.

short answer no get a better card (TBH I would not spend the ~150 on a 5770 with used 4850s selling so cheap (WELL under 100) and offering the same performance...card is not THAT powerful that DX11 is going to make a huge difference.) 5850/70 would last 3 years though, next year or so at any resolution you want :)

Hello, it's PC upgrade time again and I'm intrested in your opinion about this rig -

‏CPU - Core i7 920, s1366, 8MB‎
Video Card - ‏HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 DX11 2xDVI HDMI DP PCI-E‎
HD - ‏500GB 7200RPM, 16MB, SATA II WD5000AAKS‎
PSU - ‏PurePower W0121 600W (24pin)

I got two main questions -

1) Will this rig be enough to run games smoothly for the next 3 years considering that I dont care playing on low resolutions and without AA and AF?

2) Do you think I should get different pieces of hardware with similar prices (like an ASUS MB insted of the DFI, or different memory and PSU)?

I'm planning to buy this tomorrow. Thanks for your time.
That's what my rig is running besides a larger power supply and video card. I would get 5850 if you dont mind paying a bit more as the 5770 is not as strong as a few of the 4800 cards. The ram and i7 seem find aswell as the mobo so I dont see anything wrong with it.

Oh, if you are going to Overclock you will want a good heatsink and better PSU. If not going to overclock you can probably save some money on the board and ram :)

Id go with this power supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...005&cm_re=corsair_650w-_-17-139-005-_-Product

This HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...6319&cm_re=640gb_black-_-22-136-319-_-Product

And a 5850. If you can afford it (and want to go 3 years), Id pinch off the extra $100 for a 5870. That HDD will be a bit quicker w/ a little more space. Also, the PSU will be able to handle without issue a good overclock on that i7 + a 5870.

You can also save a few bucks with going with some different, just as good of quality ram.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0227365&cm_re=ocz_gold-_-20-227-365-_-Product OCZ
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...31225&cm_re=gskill_6gb-_-20-231-225-_-Product GSkill

Both will give you a bit extra cash to put towards other quality components and will definitely work well for you.

Ok, I've desided to go for this one -

‏CPU - Core i7 920, s1366, 8MB‎ - ‏V8 CPU Cooler
Video Card - ‏HD 5870 1GB GDDR5 DX11
HD - WD ‏640GB 7200RPM, 32MB, SATA II
PSU - ‏Corsair TX 750W Active PFC 12cm Fan‎
CASE - ‏Coolmaster HAF932 Full Tower Black Case

Thanks for your great replies, you've helped me a lot.

Last edited:
Ok I ordered the parts, I'll be assembling everything on sunday.

But I didn't understand one thing, the guy on the phone told me that since I ordered 1600mhz memory I have to overclock something. That got me confused.

Do I realy need to tweak anything before plugging the 1600mhz memory in? Or can I just assemble everything and start working?

Ok I ordered the parts, I'll be assembling everything on sunday.

But I didn't understand one thing, the guy on the phone told me that since I ordered 1600mhz memory I have to overclock something. That got me confused.

Do I realy need to tweak anything before plugging the 1600mhz memory in? Or can I just assemble everything and start working?

Wow, what a nice machine. The guy on the phone is a moron. The chip is binned at 1600mhz but you can run it slower. I would run the CPU at whatever speed you want and use the multiplier to run the ram at 1600mhz.

Oh good to hear. On the phone they told me that since the memory is 1600mhz my system will be overclocked by default, so the warranty is void. That sounded strange to me so I asked here.

I'll go kick their asses on sunday. But until than I want to be sure, the default FSB speed for that mobo is 1600mhz, or am I wrong?

Oh good to hear. On the phone they told me that since the memory is 1600mhz my system will be overclocked by default, so the warranty is void. That sounded strange to me so I asked here.

I'll go kick their asses on sunday. But until than I want to be sure, the default FSB speed for that mobo is 1600mhz, or am I wrong?

Let's see...
i7 920 is 2.66Ghz.
Bus speed of 133Mhz. Multi of 20x.
20x133Mhz = 2.66Ghz.
DRAM Frequency of 533Mhz since it's quad pumped. That gets doubled due to DDR to 1066.
If you run a multi of 2:3 (cpu:dram) you'd get a frequency of 1600Mhz while running your Bus speed at 133Mhz and a multi of 20x.

Quigsby we are past the P45 generation :)

rashal, when you put your RAM in there should be a option saying "DDR3-1600" so don't worry. You are not overclocking anything. That guy is just trying to scare you.

Quigsby we are past the P45 generation :)

rashal, when you put your RAM in there should be a option saying "DDR3-1600" so don't worry. You are not overclocking anything. That guy is just trying to scare you.

Ya ya... :) Just saying it's possible without overclocking the cpu. :)

Actually you run a 2:8 dram ratio and overclock the bclk from 133 to 200 and itll hit 1600mhz while running your cpu @ 200x20, 4ghz :) be happy, you made good choices!

. On the phone they told me that since the memory is 1600mhz my system will be overclocked by default,

I dont think the guy has a clue what he is talking about and no it will not void the warranty. Just kick some *** and tell us what store it is so we dont go there lol.

Back