• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best CPU for Folding@Home

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Alexander_T said:
Hi, what CPU is best, P3 700 or Celeron 1100?

Thanks in advance
That's a hard call. The P3 700@700 is a poor folder. At 933 it's not much better. I've not seen any celeron times so I have no idea what kind of experiences people have with them. I personally dislike anything Intel for folding. My own personal experience with the P3 700E folding was at 933mhz overclock and I had a time of roughly 14hrs., for the villin protein.

I have been looking around and notice that AMD fold much faster. Many people agree to this.

In my sig I have Duron and Celeron.
you've notice I overclock Cele more then Duron. But when I play CS with the same amount of 12 bots on both computer.
My Duron run smoother then celeron.
Also try Command&Counqer with 6 player, me and 5 comp
My Duron still run smooter.

U decide. :) :burn:

Alexander_T said:
Hi, what CPU is best, P3 700 or Celeron 1100?

Thanks in advance
I would think the celeron would fold faster it all depends on which has a better fpu.
I can finsh a villin in 7.5 hours with my tbird

The Celeron 1100 is still coppermine core. So long as the P3 700 is coppermine, they would fold about the same at the same MHz. The celeron has no inherent advantage over the P3 except that it's 1.1 GHz. So given the two I would choose the celeron.

But if you're building a folding box from scratch, I would choose a Duron or an Athlon.

I know that a Duron or an Athlon is better. I was just wondering if I gain something in folding@home by upgrading my PIII700 to a Celeron 1100.

Back