• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

will these work together?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

snowmanak406

i am putting a stereo into my truck and ran into a question. i have very little experience with audio so this may be a stupid question but can you run a dual voice coil sub to a single channel amp? i am looking at the Boss SE122dvc and the Hitron HA-1000.1. the main question being will this work and how well?

thanks for any info
mike

Your speaker has dual 4 ohm coils. Putting those in parallel will create a 2 ohm impedance load.

The amp is rated down to a 2 ohm load as well, so it should work just fine.

It's important to understand how a speaker's impedance load matches to an amp's ability to handle that load. Check the specs of both.

Your amp can run anything from 2 ohms on up, but any lower will cause instability in the amp or even damage or blow its output stage. It's also possible to damage the speaker when the amp blows or goes into oscillation due to instability.

:welcome: to the forums.

Your speaker has dual 4 ohm coils. Putting those in parallel will create a 2 ohm impedance load.

The amp is rated down to a 2 ohm load as well, so it should work just fine.

It's important to understand how a speaker's impedance load matches to an amp's ability to handle that load. Check the specs of both.

Your amp can run anything from 2 ohms on up, but any lower will cause instability in the amp or even damage or blow its output stage. It's also possible to damage the speaker when the amp blows or goes into oscillation due to instability.

:welcome: to the forums.

Also, if the amp is bridged down to one channel, the amp will "see" it as a 2 ohm load. In that case, you need to series wire the voice coils on the sub, other wise the amp will act like it is a 1 ohm load and either shut itself down (if it has overload protection), blow fuses, or just kill itself trying to feed the sub. You could, however, do 2 identical subs, and wire them up in parallel, giving you 2 ohm loads on each channel, which the amp will handle fine. It is not advisable to wire one voice coil to one channel and the other voice coil to the other channel, due to stereo separation, which could cause one voice coil to sit idle while the other is pushing the sub, or the voice coils may try to move in opposite directions, which will cause them to overheat and burn, because the sub isn't moving. I hope this makes sense, since it has been a while since I have renewed my MECP certification.

Also, if the amp is bridged down to one channel, the amp will "see" it as a 2 ohm load. In that case, you need to series wire the voice coils on the sub, other wise the amp will act like it is a 1 ohm load and either shut itself down (if it has overload protection), blow fuses, or just kill itself trying to feed the sub. You could, however, do 2 identical subs, and wire them up in parallel, giving you 2 ohm loads on each channel, which the amp will handle fine. It is not advisable to wire one voice coil to one channel and the other voice coil to the other channel, due to stereo separation, which could cause one voice coil to sit idle while the other is pushing the sub, or the voice coils may try to move in opposite directions, which will cause them to overheat and burn, because the sub isn't moving. I hope this makes sense, since it has been a while since I have renewed my MECP certification.

It's a mono amp ;)

It has two 4 ohm voice coils. Hooked in parallel they present a 2 ohm load that matches the mono amp very nicely for a 600 Watt output. 4 ohms will only get you 400 watts.

In series the voice coils will present 8 ohms and a much lower output power ~200w. Now if the amp was only rated down to 8 ohms, then series would be the best. Most car amps are rated for 2 ohms and some down to 1 ohm or less.

Last edited:
thank you for the information it was really helpful and i now have the amp installed and it is working very nicely

Back