• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Western Digital RMA experience

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bobnova

Bought a 320gb PATA drive off the classifieds here and it died in transit, the seller was nice enough to pay for the warranty shipment ($5.50 ups, WD has an agreement with UPS i guess).
That was last week, i sent it out on tuesday or wednesday, it got to WD on friday.
Today (tuesday) i got a nice brand new 16mb cache SATA2 drive in the mail, they shipped it back next day air!

So first off, thank you very much JonSimonzi for selling me the HDD for a great price and for paying the RMA shipping, he's a great guy and was very happy to get things squared away, i wouldn't hesitate a moment to buy more from him.

WD exceeded my expectations (even my hopes!) by a long shot, they got right on it and the drive they sent back is much better then the one i sent in.

That's good to know, thanks for sharing. I've got a dead 80G I need to send in. Only WD drive that has died on me in many years (>10). Love my WD drives!

Figured the vendor discussion section could use some positive ones. I'd rant about how cool newegg is but we all know they rock :p

Just curious, did they ask if your system supported SATA before sending the new drive?

+1

I will also add a positive experience to this as well.

Two weeks ago or so i ordered a 500GB 2.5" Scorpio Blue from a seller I know from eBay and the drive was registering fine except in enclosures i put it in, then when I put it back into my computer it was making an awful click sound and kept freezing sporadically.
I did a WD RMA via their nicely improved website on a Sunday and got the drive Tuesday (which works 100% in my system and enclosures i throw at it)

So they have definitely improved since I did it last like in 2004 or 05.

Just curious, did they ask if your system supported SATA before sending the new drive?

That's a good point. No, there was no communication from them regarding what they sent me.

You could contact them and thank them for fast turn around on the replacement drive, and inform them you sent a PATA drive, got a SATA replacement without being checked if your PC supported SATA in the first place.

Let them sweat a bit. Maybe they'd revise the RMA procedure so if the RMA'ed drive is PATA, they ASK first before sending a new SATA drive.

I had a WD 500gb Sata drive that failed on me and i sent it to WD through their online RMA service. I received a new one within a week and it was sent 2 day UPS. I really think their service is terrific, you know except for the drive failing and all. Most of WD's drives have 5 year warranty as opposed to Seagate and Samsung's 3 year warranty.

WD is king! Had the same great experience. Had a 640GB drive go bad after about a month of light use. RMA'd it back to WD - they had it air mailed back to me asap! Go WD!

Back