• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying and Selling of Used Equipment

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zzzzzzzzzz

The purpose of this thread is to determine places to buy and sell at desirable or less undesirable prices, used computers and computer related equipment (like printers). This is something I am guessing many have wondered about.

Therefore:

What are good places to buy used computers and computer related equipment (computers, printers, etc.) at low price?

What are good places to sell used computers and computer related equipment (computers, printers, etc.) at high price?

Last edited:
this forum (with 100+ post count required) the classified section is free to use.

eBay is still the best place to get the most money out of used junk but consider that eBay and Paypal could eat up as much as 20% of your total sale. So if you sell a printer X here for about $80, and they normally go for $90, it is probably better value here.

OK. So it seems that forums and eBay are what is recommended.

What about average times to sell?

A place that a year to sell something for a high price may not necessarily be as desirable as a place that only takes a few weeks to sell for a lesser price.

A year to sell... LOL.

Depending on the pricing, it can go quick here in fourms. The better the price the quicker the sale.

Ebay can be indefinately (buy it now) or have a term on it for an auction (up to 7 days I think).

If something takes a year to sell it is not priced competitively.

Sales in the forums take as little as 3 minutes, or as long as it takes the seller to drop his price to something reasonable :) (High dollar items excluded, those just take time to sell)

Tehre are lots of places to find used parts cheap though. OCbay was a great idea that never took off because people wanted to charge Ebay prices for stuff that they were selling on various forums for less. (With no fees on OCBay that is kind of stupid). -Etailers sell Refurbished merchandise, most manufacturers also have "B-Stock" for stuff that is EOL or repaired.

Check your local craigslist, I've got a number of good deals locally through my CL. Other then that and the occasional eBay purchase I do nearly the rest of my computer part purchasing through this forum's classifieds, with a few exceptions by and large the best deals I've got on computer parts have been from here. I do very little shopping from B&M retails or e-tailers anymore, not unless I have to, like if its a hard drive that I absolutely have to have today then I'll go to B&M. In the past year and a half I think I've bought a total of three computer components brand new (a power supply that was on sale, and a couple of hard drives for some laptops I was repairing for myself), the rest of my parts have been second hand from OCF and they work great!

Last edited:
i'm surprised you list the forum as first. stuff does take a very long time to sell unless its being given away.

Craigslist is usually your best bet for stuff you dont want to give away or sell for very very high price.

for high priced stuff ebay is usually your best bet.

It all depends on what you are selling though, pawn shops have a niche as well.

i'm surprised you list the forum as first. stuff does take a very long time to sell unless its being given away.

In the classifieds? It takes an hour or two if you price it "right"... And by right I don't mean give it away. I see a lot of people selling their stuff there for how much they would get in retail... If you got an i7 920 for $200 from a MicroCenter.... GOOD LUCK selling it for $250. Anyone is free to sell at whatever price they want, but come on, get real.

I recently sold a Q6600 there. $100. Yes, it's cheap, but considering that I got it a year and a half ago for $150 (again, here in the classies), I did not end up losing much. It was gone after about an hour after posting the thread.

In the classifieds? It takes an hour or two if you price it "right"... And by right I don't mean give it away. I see a lot of people selling their stuff there for how much they would get in retail... If you got an i7 920 for $200 from a MicroCenter.... GOOD LUCK selling it for $250. Anyone is free to sell at whatever price they want, but come on, get real.

I recently sold a Q6600 there. $100. Yes, it's cheap, but considering that I got it a year and a half ago for $150 (again, here in the classies), I did not end up losing much. It was gone after about an hour after posting the thread.

$100 for Q6600 is a give away especially if you included shipping. lol.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-Core-2-Qu...26QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCPUs?hash=item3ca78b80de

Although, the forums do get points for most of the time providing a hassle free sale, albeit for much lower prices (if you are a seller).

Sometimes you just have to stumble on to some things. I just snagged a 9800GT for 59.95 on e-bay. It's probably the result of some business who bought a bunch of dells and knew they could make a bunch of money pulling the cards and selling them since a 9800gt is probably overkill for most business apps. Anyway its way past time to update the advertised on e-bay 25$ 6600 that got ID'd as a 6800 by GPU-Z

If you want a 59.95 9800gt's on ebay just search buy it now for 9800gt. You will find it

Last edited:
Are local used equipment dealers generally not as good to buy or sell from as the forums or eBay?

If so, what would be the best way of finding the good local dealers (USA only: Perhaps looking for "Computer Equipment" the Yellow Pages?)

Some local that buys to resell often pays little, maybe 10% or 20% of what it is worth.

It's better to skip the middle men and sell directly if you want maximize your money. Craigslist is free and can sell anything legal but may be a bit slow. This forum is generally safer with less chance of scam but it's also a chance of taking a while to sell some things. eBay usually sells faster but they will eat as much as 25% of your total sale to listing fee, end of auction fee, and paypal fee. Paypal is required and they won't let you accept any form of paper (check, cetrified check, money order, or cash) unless it's a local pickup only auction.

You now have 100 posts, and if you have an ISP/edu/mil email (see classifieds rules), you should be able to access that section.

You now have 100 posts, and if you have an ISP/edu/mil email (see classifieds rules), you should be able to access that section.

That. And the classified section, if you are eligible to browse, is at the bottom of the forum page. Scroll down past everything like general section.

Back