• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 920 D0 Stepping 5 Temp issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TruGuru

So i have not built a game machine in Ohh 5 or so years and i figured it was about time to kill my Athlon XPile of Junk!! I wanted to take advantage of the most performance and upgradability here is what i wound up with

Asus P6t Deluxe V2
6gb Patriot XMS1600 7-7-7-27
Intel I7 920 D0
XFX Radeon 5770 GPU 960mhz DDR5@1445mhz
1tb Barracuda 32mb cache 7200rpm 3gbps Sata
Zallman CNPS 10x Extreme heat sink and fan

Over Clocked
4.052ghz vcore 1.25V
800mhz cas @ 1.65V
Bus 200mhz X 20
QPI LInk 3600mhz

Idle Temp 29c
Load Temp 76c
GPU Load Temp 44c

So i dont like the 76c as a load temp i would like to get it much lower any thoughts
Thanks

76c load temp on air @ 4.05ghz is fine. Dont worry about it, you wont get it much lower unless you go water. i7 has a MUCH higher heat tolerance than older CPU's.

Much lower? Haha, right...

That's a perfectly acceptable temp for that overclock on air cooling. The 1366 i7s are big, fast, power-hungry, hot chips. It's operating well within its thermal limits.

I hit 75C when my cpu is at 4.35Ghz, and I have a quad rad in a cpu only loop...

It sounds like your VCore is way to high, try turning it back i got mine stable at 1.26v at 4ghz, i had mine at 1.37 and got insane temps at full load turned it back to 1.26 and the temps level out at 74~75 on water you should not be hitting 75 especially if i can hold it to that on AIR only,

I could say the same about your vcore being too high. I run 4.2ghz @ 1.25v. Thats neither here nor there, read on.

Hes running .11v more than you at those temps. Thats quite a bit on i7. I know w/ a 120.2 and a 120.3 radiators on my i7 loop only, I will load at around 74c in LINX w/ 1.37. Not only that, all CPU's are different. Some run cooler with more voltage, some run hotter with less. Some are just badass. Im sure his vcore is where it needs to be for 4.35ghz. i7 doesnt scale well above about 4-4.2ghz (ie: need alot more voltage for very little gains). Just to get 4.3ghz, I have to go from 1.25v to 1.31v.

Also, what are you using to load the CPU? Im sure his load temps are via LINX, which is what you want to test as your CPU will NEVER achieve that heat in daily functions or gaming (not even folding).

I hit 75C when my cpu is at 4.35Ghz, and I have a quad rad in a cpu only loop...

Not bad. My quad rad keeps my i7 under 70C up to 4.6 HTT :) under 60C if I throw it in the window :)

And I am throwing SICK volts at it :)

Runs nice low voltage and 45C loaded at up to 4.4 with up to 1.4vcore. Those last couple hundred MHz can be a real.....

(For the record, those high volts/clocks are NOT for 24/7 use)

45c loaded!!??!! What is your ambient lol. My ambient is still around 24c. It gets cool at night finally (40F) but it hasnt really cooled off, warms up in the day pretty good.

Well lets see here,I have been running Linx and Prime95x64, and that is correct Prime95 does not puch the machine maybe its something to do with prioritizing to all the cores or just their algorithm. i dont know on that but my machine with a 1.37vcore would overheat in a matter of seconds on air. where as 1.25 and this is the lowest my motherboard allows me to set atm, produces a much steadier temp rise as it immediatly jumps from say ~30+-3 to approx 60c then climbs over about a 15min period to 73~74c and stays there as long as i run it. just bc i haven't built a gaming pc does not mean i haven't been building servers for a living. but most of those scenarios are in Air conditioned data closets i just come on these looking for other peoples experiences with the setup on air, water not so much as the people are usually allowing their rig to get intensely hot and covering it with 3 or 4 rads, i like the air option because its about finding a balance current/resistance/airflow and outside temp/exposed cooling surface any ways thanks for the info i'll post if i get this thing down any lower... no faith i tell ya lol jk

45c loaded!!??!! What is your ambient lol. My ambient is still around 24c. It gets cool at night finally (40F) but it hasnt really cooled off, warms up in the day pretty good.

Has gotten down to 40F here as well (South Jersey)

Going to do some low clock runs later tonight low volts etc. So will post up some coretemp shots sometime tomorrow hopefully :)

Back