• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD5970 Review Repository...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Wait for what.... someone else to do it? Google HD5970 reviews and thats where they were taken from. Copy/Paste FTW!

Wait for what.... someone else to do it?

Its exciting....non-the-less.

Well, for starters, this card kicks some major butt... But for people who have the 295, should stick with it... If the price is 599, I'm going to wait for that number to go down... Price / performance ratio... Now if it were $499, I'd get it in a heart beat.

Single card users should be eying this card... as I am... People already running SLI or Cross fire, may not want this....yet.

Like I said, Im a bit disappointed in its initial results. For pete's sake, the 5870 is close to the GTX295 in a lot of benches, so I would have expected this thing to absolutely KILL the GTX295, instead it beats it across the board, but not how I expected it. Im sure drivers and Crossfire profiles will solve that issue, its just a matter of how long it takes ATI to do it. Is the best card out at the moment, no doubt!!!

AFter reading more reviews, it just looks like it needs to run on a 30" monitor, wow.

Last edited:
Tech spot Final thoughts page.

As expected the Radeon HD 5970 is vastly superior to the GeForce GTX 295 in terms of beating it in every single test, at all tested resolutions. On average the Radeon HD 5970 was 53% faster than the GeForce GTX 295 at 2560x1600. Even removing the top three tests where the Radeon led with the biggest margins (BattleForge, Enemy Territory and Street Fighter IV), the HD 5970 still ended up some 34% faster than the GTX 295.
It's easy to conclude from there that the Radeon HD 4870 X2 presented no contention whatsoever, and that ATI's latest dual-GPU Radeon can claim the title of the fastest graphics card currently in the market.

Another interesting statistic is that the Radeon HD 5970 was on average 46% faster than the Radeon HD 5870, while costing 50% more. Assuming that you can increase the core frequency of the Radeon HD 5970 by at least 17% and the memory by 20%, then you can effectively produce a pair of Radeon HD 5870 GPUs in a single board. Once again, for those who can justify the price, we feel that the Radeon HD 5970 provides enthusiast users with a viable alternative towards extreme performance.

It should be noted that under load the Radeon HD 5970 operated at an acceptable volume when running at its default specifications, but this wasn't the case when overclocking. In order to keep the GPUs at safe temperatures, the blower fan was working overtime and in the process created so much noise it was impossible to hear myself think. Those looking into overclocking the already super-fast Radeon HD 5970 will need to delve into alternative cooling methods such as water.

The Radeon HD 5970 is also the largest graphics card we've ever tested with a length of 30cm, it's larger than the 4870 X2 or the GTX 295. This card is not going to be compatible with a wide range of computer cases, so those looking at purchasing it should first make sure their case can accommodate for the EATX (extended ATX) form factor, which measures 30.5cm wide, or roughly the same dimension as the Radeon HD 5970.
Like all multi-GPU , the Radeon HD 5970 relies heavily on driver support to perform as intended. Every time a new game is released it is likely that the Radeon HD 5970 will not fully support it (taking advantage of the two GPUs) until AMD updates the Catalyst driver. I'm usually skeptical about multi-GPU as the results tend to vary a lot, though admittedly things have improved considerably from where we were a year ago.
Without full Crossfire support the Radeon HD 5970 will perform somewhere in between a single Radeon HD 5870 and 5850 graphics card, which is still pretty decent.

Make it official, the Radeon HD 5970 is the fastest graphics card in the market, outperforming by a long shot previous generation dual-GPU products. We can't decide for you whether it makes sense to spend $600 on this graphics card or not, but at least it's nice having the option.
The next step for AMD/ATI is not to work on their next-generation products, as it is making sure the current Radeons are widely available from retailers. We sure hope the Radeon HD 5970 does not become a soft launch, following the inventory debacle seen with the rest of the series. So, inventory first and working around the ' rough edges should make this a great purchase for those who can afford it.

Last edited:
From which of the 14 reviews......?

I edited my post before yours to reflect its superiority at 2560x1600 res (which 1% of even enthusiasts use).

SWEET!

AMD has it on their page!

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desk...d-5970/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-5970-overview.aspx

official SPECS!

• Engine clock speed: 725 MHz
  • Processing power (single precision): 4.64 TeraFLOPS
  • Processing power (double precision): 928 GigaFLOPS
  • Polygon throughput: 1.45 billion polygons/sec
  • Data fetch rate (32-bit): 464 billion fetches/sec
  • Texel fill rate (bilinear filtered): 116 Gigatexels/sec
  • Pixel fill rate: 46.4 Gigapixels/sec
  • Anti-aliased pixel fill rate: 185.6 Gigasamples/sec
  • Memory clock speed: 1.0 GHz
  • Memory data rate: 4.0 Gbps
  • Memory bandwidth: 256.0 GB/sec
  • Maximum board power: 294 Watts
  • Idle board power: 51 Watts

Looks promising, I only read the guru3D one so far though. I think it really shows how good the 5870 is right now. The 5970 CF was an absolute monster though. It will be interesting to see what happens with driver improvements.

Whew, this is taking me a while. Only 3 sites done but the format is all set up and it's pretty fast to enter them now.

Teaser pic, charts and public viewability to follow:

Attachments

• 5970teaser.jpg
    5970teaser.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 332
Wow cheers rat, excellent work so far!

YOu can do a comparison a couple of driver releases down the road. THAT would be cool as well.

Wow, the $600ish is starting to look like a real good value.... if you can find them...

EDIT: The 5970 really likes the 30" screen.... for Quake wars

EDIT2: Can you imagine?? ; ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode with support for up to 4 GPU's

Last edited:
Wow rat, really nice chart you got going there. What a beast of a card, eh?

My impression so far is, yep, depending what you'll do with it.

If you have a 1680x1050 or less monitor, don't even think about it. 1920x1200, it's still somewhat wasteful compared to a single 5870.

2560x1600, it starts becoming worth it, and for using it to run 3 monitors with Eyefinity - party time :clap:

edit: Hmm.. This card would be a demon when paired with 3 42" 1080p TV's and sitting about 3 feet back. I need a bigger apartment.

Hmm looking at those charts, I am tempted to sell my video cards and a get a 295 :) Considering I can find them easily at half the price for the 5970 :)

LOL Crazy, nVidia is now the price:performance king :)

(although 3 monitor on one card would be nice.. I don't think of DX11 as a selling point and neither CUDA nor STREAM not PhysX nor Havok is a selling point for me yet)

Cant wait till there is a industry standard on GPGPU and Physics acceleration :) Might actually see some good uses for it then :)

2560x1600, it starts becoming worth it, and for using it to run 3 monitors with Eyefinity - party time :clap:

edit: Hmm.. This card would be a demon when paired with 3 42" 1080p TV's and sitting about 3 feet back. I need a bigger apartment.

+

DiRT2 for PC was delayed so they could implement DX11 effects, so for me it is a selling point. One, that I will wait for nVidia to offer. :)

=:cool:

This is where this card will shine. Nothing else will give you that tri-monitor experience at some uber resolutions. $600 is a bargain for that many pixels running at 60fps+. And 24-28" 1920x1200 monitors or 32" 1080p TVs are at comparatively low prices now. For the extreme gamer this is a dream come true!

Wish I had an extra $1200 laying around. I'd get this card and 2 more 28" monitors and be ready for some crazy DIRT2 action! :clap:

Maybe in a year or 2 when I can do it for 1/2 that...:rain:

Back