• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need good gaming headphones/headset

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g0dM@n

Inactive Moderator
Hey guys. I've already read some of the threads here and AVSForums for gaming headphones, but I'd like to explain my situation.

Some background:
  • First and foremost, I want headphones purely for gaming as the priority. The games I play are all Valve, HL2, TF2, and now all I play is L4D and L4D2. I use my Creative Z-5500s for music 95% of the time and I'm sure gaming headphones will do music fine in case I go that route.
  • The cans I have now are the Razer Barracuda HP-1s and although some of you may laugh at me, it served very well for gaming. The problem became that since my ears are so tiny, they fall inside the cans and the hard part pushes on my ears. After about 45-60min of gaming, my ears start to KILL. I can't take it anymore. I need cans that will be comfortable.
  • I'm using an X-Fi Fatal1ty card (onboard 64mb RAM) with the front panel. I also bought another X-Fi, the Elite Pro because I was thinking that the front panel is annoying as I can't shut my computer tower's door.
  • I was told that CMSS 3D works very well, and I don't need true 5.1 headphones if I use CMSS.
  • I once used the Steel Series SteelSound 5H V2 Headset but I stupidly sold it for $60 when I bought my Razers. I regret that and feel dumb paying $100 to buy them again now.

Anyway, with either of those cards I mentioned above (whichever you recommend), what would be my best bet for gaming headphones? I'd like to keep the price below $100 if possible. Amazon seems to have some nice prices on ones I've scoped out:

I can either go with 5.1 headphones since my sound card would support 3 analog outputs, I can use the front headphone output on one of my X-Fi cards, or I can use the headphone output on my Z-5500 system. I'd also like to know which is the best method as far as line output(s). If I go with a pair of headphones, I'll need a mic too.

I thank you for any support you can provide. :)

Last edited:
Anyone? I love my current headphones, but my ears are too small and need a new style.

I actually had looked at those, and although they look awesome they are out of my budget.

I feel like I could just use my own mic and get one of the high-end Sennheiser headphones and save me money... maybe the HD555 or the HD280 pro... just not sure which of those 2 is better. Too bad I can't sample all of these headphones.

AD700s every time.

Pros
- Extremely detailed soundstage (great for gaming)
- Really easy to drive (no amp required
- Really cheap for what you are getting
- sound great with most types of music
- Ultra-comfortable

Cons
- Maybe slightly garish looking, but who cares ?
- Bass is very controlled. Not for bass-heads
- Lack of isolation, again who cares ?

AD700s every time.

Pros
- Ultra-comfortable

Cons

Come to think of it, they look EXTREMELY comfy!! I really need comfy headphones...

How do they compare to these:
http://www.amazon.com/Closed-back-a...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1258661136&sr=8-3

g0dM@n, I dont have any advice to offer, just wanted to compliment you on your post. You save the reader TONS of googling, which is pretty awesome I think.

also, I was wondering if you feel that the 5.1 headphones actually sound like surround, as if the sound is behind you as with real speakers. I've considered them for gaming, just never wanted to gamble the money.

another thought, have you considered modding the pads on them to make them fit more comfortably? I was reading about my koss ur-40s on head-fi and saw people mention adding some foam between the pad and the can, to keep it from hitting their ears. here's a link: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/1705202-post1.html
edit: I just decided to try it on mine to se how it felt, and it does feel roomier in there. I guess it just never bothered me that my ears were touching the inside of the cans. the foam pieces have been out of my cans for quite a while, just never decided to try it, actually never looked that closely at the pics of how he did it till I went and found the thread again.

and if anyone has compared the audio technica a700 to the ad700, what's the difference in sound quality? I'm torn between wanting closed to keep my sound in for the other people who live with me, but I like being able to hear while wearing the phones with the music/game turned down. I've been considering asking santa for a new set of cans, and the ATs look nice just not sure between the closed and open. Looking at the thread again I just realised that g0dm@n asked basically the same thing

sorry for the multi part threadjack

Last edited:
FWIR, the A700 is very similar, but has a smaller soundstage and more pronounced bass (both due to the fact that they are Closed headphones).

Sound quality, the AD700s win every time. They are so open and "airy" which really makes classical and acoustic music sound good.

Comfort wise, they are about the same (the same being like wearing two velvet cushions playing sweet sweet music around your ears :p)

What sort of music do you both listen to ?

I listen to stuff ranging from the grateful dead to the crystal method to devildriver. just not much (0.1% or less) country and modern pop. Rigth now listening to The Prodigy 's Invaders Must Die album. Also, I do like it loud, but cant stand distortion when loud. I equalize my music as flat as I can on a sine sweep / tone generator, only by ear tho caus i cant afford a good spectrum analyzer (well.. cant afford an SA at all)

since im not familiar with the meaning of the term.. soundstage is like.. how far apart the speakers sound? like how headphones sound like they're inside of your head, as opposed to speakers sounding like they're coming from both sides? making sure I've got the right idea of what you're talking about

I would then suggest the A700's quite a bit better for bass. (I see you mention head-fi, always check there before buying any headphones. Just search the forums for A700).

Ok soundstage.

Picture a cube in front of your head. In this cube, there is sound. Outside the cube there is nothing.

Soundstage is this box.

The dimensions of this box change, sometimes dramatically, with different headphones.

It can be described as wide i.e imagine yourself at the very front of a stage with the players of an orchestra spread out across the whole stage. It can be described as narrow, which is a bad thing, as it makes the sound appear to be coming from one fixed point, which it obviously isn't.It can be described as detailed or muddy. That is to say with a detailed soundstage, you can hear every instrument being played and where exactly it is being played from. And vice versa for muddy, it just sounds like one big mass of noise.

Most "cheap" headphones have a soundstage which is a very small box, right in front of your eyes. It just sounds like all of the music is coming from a single fixed point.

The AD700s have a wide and detailed soundstage. For example, I am currently listening to Freddie Freeloader by Miles Davies. It sounds as if I am sat in front of the band, who are playing the song. If I close my eyes I can see them all playing, the piano and sax on the left and the drums and bass on the right. And of course, Miles in the middle.

And after all, any audio playback device's job is to reproduce music. With the AD700's you will feel like you are sitting in the front row of any concert, whether it be rock or classical.

Obviously, this all depends a lot on the recording, but generally all recordings use this effect to there advantage.

I have the hd555, i can tell where most things are and they don't really hurt after a couple hours of gaming.

Still contemplating those... why did you choose those over the HD280 pros?
AD700s every time.

Pros
- Ultra-comfortable

Cons
Okay, so the only real CON I've read is the lack of bass.
Well, I'm having a change of heart and wondering that perhaps I should listen to my music with my headphones... and 75% of what I listen to is metal and heavy metal. 20% would be house (or hard techno), and 5% of old hip-hop, rock, etc... heck sometimes I'll listen to only metal for a few weeks straight.

Are these going to prove well for metal, or should I continue using my Z-5500 5.1 system.
g0dM@n, I dont have any advice to offer, just wanted to compliment you on your post. You save the reader TONS of googling, which is pretty awesome I think.

also, I was wondering if you feel that the 5.1 headphones actually sound like surround, as if the sound is behind you as with real speakers. I've considered them for gaming, just never wanted to gamble the money.

another thought, have you considered modding the pads on them to make them fit more comfortably? I was reading about my koss ur-40s on head-fi and saw people mention adding some foam between the pad and the can, to keep it from hitting their ears. here's a link: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/1705202-post1.html
edit: I just decided to try it on mine to se how it felt, and it does feel roomier in there. I guess it just never bothered me that my ears were touching the inside of the cans. the foam pieces have been out of my cans for quite a while, just never decided to try it, actually never looked that closely at the pics of how he did it till I went and found the thread again.

and if anyone has compared the audio technica a700 to the ad700, what's the difference in sound quality? I'm torn between wanting closed to keep my sound in for the other people who live with me, but I like being able to hear while wearing the phones with the music/game turned down. I've been considering asking santa for a new set of cans, and the ATs look nice just not sure between the closed and open. Looking at the thread again I just realised that g0dm@n asked basically the same thing

sorry for the multi part threadjack

Dude, the 5.1 headphones really do 5.1... I don't have much to complain about it. I hear a ton of stuff, and where it's coming from. It really works... the only problem is the REAR doesn't have a woofer I don't think... the woofers are for the front and center channels, but hey you can't expect 5 woofers in a pair of headphones... probably not easy to do and if it was done I'm sure they are expensive.

The only gripe about the Razers for me that is a real CON that makes me want other headphones is solely the comfort department. If I can figure that out and fix it, I won't waste my money elsewhere... If I had a good salary and wasn't struggling right now, I wouldn't think twice about just buying a new pair of headphones... I would just do it and move on.

so... I'm not really understanding what this dude did... he jammed the foam inside the circular part, or what? Did he replace the old foam? Where did he get the foam? Sorry... didn't really understand what he did as his instructions aren't complete IMO.

P.S. I added the Koss UR-40s to the list...

the foam he used came from inside the headphones, basically acts as a baffle. im not sure how common it is, but on these theres like a lip under the pad against the plastic, like if you hook your finger around the pad... I guess he just stuffed it in there, that's what I did. thinking about it, it seems like anything would work, at least to try it. like some rolled up TP or tissues or somethin.

the foam he used came from inside the headphones, basically acts as a baffle. im not sure how common it is, but on these theres like a lip under the pad against the plastic, like if you hook your finger around the pad... I guess he just stuffed it in there, that's what I did. thinking about it, it seems like anything would work, at least to try it. like some rolled up TP or tissues or somethin.
My cups won't open up... afraid it may mess it up if I open it up. :(

I love my wireless headset http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104227 sounds great and real handy for sneaking out for a smoke break during raids.:thup:

While wireless would be awesome, I know I will regret it for certain reasons... plus I want to utilize my X-Fi and not use a USB-interface. Thanks, though! :)

see my reply on head-fi.

I'd say Senn HD555 or Shure SRH440, despite the 440s graph showing weak bass many people have commented on how clean and crisp it is.

Also: Zalman mic is what I use and it was something like $12.

The AD700 will work the best for gaming. Just get a clip on mic if you need one. Although the Shures have decent soundstage for a closed can, the AD700 will still be better. Many of the deficiencies of the AD700 can be addressed with a bit of modding.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ath-ad700-ad900-mods-448567/ The SRH440 and SRH840 are great headphones if you want closed cans, but neither would be my first choice for gaming.

Here's the #1 piece of advice when it comes to audio stuff since everyone has different hearing and different preferences: Buy from a place with a liberal and fair return policy (no restock fee or a nice trial period.) Amazon certainly qualifies there as do some other places. Or buy used at a fair price so you can resell if you aren't happy.

Here's the #1 piece of advice when it comes to audio stuff since everyone has different hearing and different preferences: Buy from a place with a liberal and fair return policy (no restock fee or a nice trial period.) Amazon certainly qualifies there as do some other places. Or buy used at a fair price so you can resell if you aren't happy.

Good call. Perhaps I'll go with the AD700... unfortunately, it's not sold by Amazon directly, which is my preferred way to shop (next to newegg). I have Amazon dollars that I have to spend by the end of the year which is why I really wanted to go with Amazon...

*EDIT*
FINALLY!!! Amazon has it in stock from amazon.com... just the past few days it was sold by someone else... oh boy... I may have to do it!!

Last edited:
Back