• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modular psu cables... Does it matter?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ciku

I have a modular psu, I normally use 4 wires, 2xpci-e, 1 for molex and 1 for sata... but what if I just plug 3 wires? 2xpci-e and 1xmolex and just split everything, is that a really bad idea? or works the same?

Depends on what you're powering with the splits. A single 12v wire can only handle so many amps before it starts to roast.

I'm powering 2xhdd, 3x200mm fans and 1 dvd drive. The hs fan and exhaust fan (both 120mm) is connected to the mobo. Is the single cable ok? or if not, is the 2 cable ok?

Yes, that's fine. None of those use squat really for amps.

Oh yeah I have a Gtx 275 also. But I have 2 pci-e power cable coming out from psu for that... So, 1 wire is ok for hdd/fans and just split em?

Non issue, even on one rail. What you are powering (hdds, fans, dvd drive), wont come close to 100W.

Yeah that should be fine. The HDDs can use a few amps at spinup, but that is a very brief time.

Thanks! :D
It stable for everything short of p95, does superPI linux just fine. FAH/Rosetta 24/7 is just fine. Maybe a touch more voltage would do it, i donno. I'm happy with it as it is.

Sorry to jack this thread but I also have a similar question, on my 620hx I was wondering if it was ok to split 1x PCI-e 1 HDD and 1 CD Drive all off of one 4 pin?

Sorry to jack this thread but I also have a similar question, on my 620hx I was wondering if it was ok to split 1x PCI-e 1 HDD and 1 CD Drive all off of one 4 pin?

Bo,

Normally I dedicate the PCI-e 6-pin connectors for the vid card and the rest of the plugs can be used for anything.

Cool thats what I was thinking.

Question tho, if the 620hx says that its dual vid card capable, why does it only have 2 PCIe 6pin connectors? usually cards require at least 2 nowdays dont they.

Because it can power two video cards that have only one PCIe connector. Technically it's accurate, even though there are few cards that only have one input nowadays.

Cool thats what I was thinking.

Question tho, if the 620hx says that its dual vid card capable, why does it only have 2 PCIe 6pin connectors? usually cards require at least 2 nowdays dont they.

When the HX620 was first intorduced, 6 - pin vid cards was the norm so it would handle SLI with default connectors if you had cards with 1 6 - pin connector each like my 9800GT and many others. They were the limits that Corsair wanted the power supply to be used for. Keep in mind that the HX620 is several years old and the big vid card requirements have outgrown many power supply models.

I actually think I'm having issues with my psu, randomly (prolly once in 2-3 days) while playing wow/burning dvd/video encoding, one of those things I do, something clicks, power downs the pc, then clicks again after 2 secs, then turns on the pc on... then pc boots.... any ideas?

Back