• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Board To Unlock 550BE?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sweefu

Hi all,
my present motherboard is playing up (J&W Tech. 790GX Extreme) and is only 2 weeks old so i plan to return it and buy a different board.
There is a gigabyte baord that has a huge success rate of unlocking quad core on the 550BE.. does anyone know this board?
Or can anyone suggest another board that will unlock for sure? Should say i dont mind which socket it is, as long as it runs my processor which is socket AM3.
Cheers!

Last edited:
Asus M4A79-T deluxe, Asus crosshair III do that pretty decent for sure. Even my M3A79-T deluxe included ACC "Unleashing Mode" within a BIOS update which is supposed to do exactly that job.

Actually, it depends on whether you have DDR2 or DDR3 memory for what board you want to run, unless you are building an entire new setup. If you have DDR2 ram, you need a good AM2+ board, if you are running DDR3 ram, you need an AM3 board.

Also, do you want a micro ATX board or a full ATX board? And, do you want to be able to crossfire two video cards meaning you need two PCIe 16x slots?

I highly suggest either gigabyte or Asus.

These two boards are both AM3 so they require DDR3 ram-

Here's the gigabyte micro ATX board I have now-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128397

Quite obviously if you look at my sig, this board unlocks the 550 dual core very easily. You simply go into ACC and change it to Hybrid and either ''auto'' or ''all cores''.

OR

if you want a full ATX board with capabilities of crossfire, I recommend this board-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131402

I JUST bought one of these and it's on its way too me now. I wanted a board to do crossfire and still unlock my 550 but still at a decent price. This one will do the trick.

Asus M4A79-T deluxe, Asus crosshair III do that pretty decent for sure. Even my M3A79-T deluxe included ACC "Unleashing Mode" within a BIOS update which is supposed to do exactly that job.

I guess we do need to know his budget on this one...but that board is $190.

sorry guys should have been more specific.
I need an am2+ board because i have ddr2 ram
looking to spend around AU$130ish
i would like two pci express slots if possible, dont plan on running 2 at the moment but would like the option in the future.
Cheers.

Back