• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Firefox headed to the PS3? Can life get any better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Oh my gosh. That would rule.

Not really. I just saw an article recently that says that Firefox is the most often and easiest to compromise browser. IE8 is actually more secure. Safari was actually pretty bad as well. Opera was the second best and Chrome was the best. I'd rather see Chrome. I'm using a Mac so that stuff really doesn't affect me but if I were using a Windows machine then I'd be switching to Chrome.

I could go for Opera, firefox is nice if you add a ton of plugins too it but in my opinion opera is the best out of the box.

I don't like how chrome sends data back to google on whatever you type in in the address bar, even if you don't hit enter.

Not really. I just saw an article recently that says that Firefox is the most often and easiest to compromise browser. IE8 is actually more secure. Safari was actually pretty bad as well. Opera was the second best and Chrome was the best. I'd rather see Chrome. I'm using a Mac so that stuff really doesn't affect me but if I were using a Windows machine then I'd be switching to Chrome.

I don't really care what any "article" says... YEARS OF EXPERIENCE tell me that even the screwed-up 3.5 version of Firefox is better than any Internet Explorer ever put out. Maybe not the browser by itself (but if you're using the bare browser... then why even bother with Firefox in the first place) but once you add Adblock Plus, and Noscript, and a few other things... it becomes RIDICULOUSLY secure.

It's the only browser I use when Im visiting sites I've never been to before. (Unless I'm under Linux.)

When it really comes down to it I would think any browser would be fairly secure on the PS3 simply because most malware is designed for windows, not PS3.

edited: We really don't need a browser war in the games section, it happens often enough in the applications section.

I think any modern browser coming to the PS3 will be a nice addition.

I don't really care what any "article" says... YEARS OF EXPERIENCE tell me that even the screwed-up 3.5 version of Firefox is better than any Internet Explorer ever put out. Maybe not the browser by itself (but if you're using the bare browser... then why even bother with Firefox in the first place) but once you add Adblock Plus, and Noscript, and a few other things... it becomes RIDICULOUSLY secure.

It's the only browser I use when Im visiting sites I've never been to before. (Unless I'm under Linux.)

Maybe, but are you going to be able to add those into the PS3 version? I kind of doubt it.

What are you worried about, exactly? Some h4xing your PS3 through Firefox?

If they can find a way to pop ads up on you while using the internet, the XMB or playing a game then they will do it. Or if a bunch of douchebags want to make a virus just because they can then they will. Sad but true.

Actually i just read a article in my magizine i got in the mail that it's actually way better then IE8 in their test. My 2cents when it comes to web browsers i think it's at time more of a opinion then anything else.

But with IE no matter what verison i had to finally just ban it from use in are offices and move everyone over to firefox because it's just insane how many stupid problems i get stuck fixing because of that browser all the internet threats that make their way in because of it. So any article can say whatever first hand experience in a work office setting IE blows.

As for ps3 getting a web browser i'm jealous and my xbox is crying right now.

If they can find a way to pop ads up on you while using the internet, the XMB or playing a game then they will do it. Or if a bunch of douchebags want to make a virus just because they can then they will. Sad but true.

Don't you think Sony and Firefox would take preventative measures for this though? Besides, why would you get pop up ads when not using the browser (while on the XMB, playing games, etc)? It's never happened to me while on a normal PC, so I think the chances of it happening while playing on the PS3 are incredibly lower.

Don't you think Sony and Firefox would take preventative measures for this though? Besides, why would you get pop up ads when not using the browser (while on the XMB, playing games, etc)? It's never happened to me while on a normal PC, so I think the chances of it happening while playing on the PS3 are incredibly lower.

maybe it's not happened to YOU when using a normal PC (I haven't either) but try servicing computers for over 200 buffoons at a fortune 500 company who tend to play on the internet more than work.... Trust me, it happens. I've ran Webroot on plenty of machines before whose numbers of spyware/malware have come up in the several thousands. At that point I'd just unplug the machine and as they're asking where I'm going with it I'd tell them that it would be fixed in about 45 minutes. Yep, you guessed it. Backed up their document files and reimaged.

maybe it's not happened to YOU when using a normal PC (I haven't either) but try servicing computers for over 200 buffoons at a fortune 500 company who tend to play on the internet more than work.... Trust me, it happens. I've ran Webroot on plenty of machines before whose numbers of spyware/malware have come up in the several thousands. At that point I'd just unplug the machine and as they're asking where I'm going with it I'd tell them that it would be fixed in about 45 minutes. Yep, you guessed it. Backed up their document files and reimaged.

Well same as i posted above about IE lol and as i said i think in the end browser is more "personally opinion" because it don't matter where u go what u do it's more or less in the user's hands as to what happens. Some work places have more morons then others.

There's a lot of articles to the contrary, as well. Regardless of what any article says, I know that after reimaging systems over and over, getting the user to switch to Firefox and occasionally run CCleaner has helped immensely compared to when they used IE.

That's all kind of beside the point though. There's no way that someone could make ads pop up on the XMB or while playing a game if the browser code isn't even executed. I've seen spyware like that on Windows, but that would require that someone figures out how to install a virus or spyware program INTO Sony's firmware/XMB, as installing it into the browser wouldn't do it. Also, it would require that the XMB run like a normal operating system with file/link associations to launch a browser window based on that code, and it seems to me if that all were possible someone would have already done it with the included browser.

I've used Firefox for years and I never run anti-virus/spyware software and have never had an issue (not really into intarweb pr0n). But any browser can be compromised, but in doing so it functions only as a gateway to access and install code into the operating system that the browser is running on. You're assuming that even if someone used the PS3's browser to gain access, they would have the knowledge to write executable code for the PS3 itself (as well as bypass Sony's firmware securities that prevent unauthorized code). Since the system hasn't even been hacked yet, I think you're giving these would-be PS3 script kiddies far, far too much credit.

My computer is about three yards from my PS3.
So I never bother with the browser. Not a fan of Firefox either.

I'm fine with this.

Back