• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why no 5/8 or 3/4 ID tubing and barbs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm guessing because of the restriction of the available blocks and radiators, that the larger tubing/barbs wouldn't offer any benefit.

I'm guessing because of the restriction of the available blocks and radiators, that the larger tubing/barbs wouldn't offer any benefit.
Plus the fact that 1/2" is already rather large for most computer cases. It could become harder to bend with small enough radii to appeal to enough people (i.e. those without giant MM cases).

the only reason is the tubing bend radius and the size of the tubing.
when you increase the width of the tubing you reduce resistance AND flow BUT once its reduced back down to a size to go through something like a rad for instance flow speed increases through the smaller tubing.
what that essentially means is that water spends the same ammount of time in any one area BUT it has to be reduced down anyways so flow will correct itself to a faster speed in small places and slower in big places. while its nice having bigger tubing its increadably hard to work with if you are not hard plumbing using copper tubing and that alone is a lot of work and still will require reduction to work with the other components.

Long long ago people used to be building insane computers using 3/4" and bigger stuff but the has long since died out.

some time in the future I plan on building a case that is mostly hard lined with 3/4-1" Cu but until then I just run 1/2" tubing because the fitting are convenient to use.

Daddyjaxx, if you read this sticky at the top of this forum, you can see why. You will see no real gain in going from 1/2" ID tubing to something even bigger. Hell, the gains you get from going from 7/16 ID to 1/2" ID are very minimal at best. And the OP of that thread is Cathar, who is extremely well known and respected in the water cooling world. After all, he is the one that has brought some very successful block desgns and innovations to our little world.

Daddyjaxx, if you read this sticky at the top of this forum, you can see why. You will see no real gain in going from 1/2" ID tubing to something even bigger. Hell, the gains you get from going from 7/16 ID to 1/2" ID are very minimal at best. And the OP of that thread is Cathar, who is extremely well known and respected in the water cooling world. After all, he is the one that has brought some very successful block desgns and innovations to our little world.
Exactly. That article switched us all over to 7/16" ID. 1/2" ID was the norm before that, though some people used 5/8" ID. 7/16" ID is much, much easier to route. I've used 5/8" before, and it's a huge pain. Big, heavy tubing that's either very prone to kinking, resistant to bending, or both.

Don't forget we're still limited on what pumps we can get, pretty sure no pump manufacturer sees watercooling as their market. A lot of the pumps people were using when I started were from garden ponds and fish tanks.

hehehe i have used a T1 titanium for an uber evap cooling unit that could dissipate enough heat for 6 of your hottest computers at once but talk about maintenance and SIZE .

From try and review ive read. There are not the much of an improvement from small to big tubing.

Don't forget we're still limited on what pumps we can get, pretty sure no pump manufacturer sees watercooling as their market. A lot of the pumps people were using when I started were from garden ponds and fish tanks.
Yup. I started with a crappy rio, and then got a Mag 3 that I used for a long time. 10ft of head for about 35w of heat dissipation.

Aren't the D5's and 655's 5/8? The barbs have to be bigger than 1/2 as the tubing can be a slight pain in the butt to put on even with 1/2 tubing.

Aren't the D5's and 655's 5/8? The barbs have to be bigger than 1/2 as the tubing can be a slight pain in the butt to put on even with 1/2 tubing.
Maybe they're 5/8" OD, but I'm pretty sure they're 3/8" or 1/2" ID.

I just checked that on a D4 pump (same pump body as a D5) and the straight part of the inlet and outlet barbs is 1/2". The lip at the very end of those connections is bigger though. And the ID of the inlet and outlet are right at 3/8".

Back