• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q9550 Ocing from a E8500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sumguy

Registered
Just picked up a Q9550. Coming from a E8500

P5q Deluxe
4gb Pc6400 Corsair xms
GTS 250
win 7 64
velo's raid 0

basically wat voltages do i need to tweak off of that the dual core didnt need to?

I prime95 been running for a hour or so at 4.0 @ 1.3volts.
But i keep getting memory management errors just idling in windows.. Some applications wont load or crash randomly..
Dram v at 2.0
CPU PLL 1.50
Nb- 1.3
all the GTL volts are on auto. ( cpu and Nb ones )
FSB - 1.20

Updated...
I can run Small Ftt all day no issues
I start a Blend it fails with in 2seconds on 2 cores.

Verify your memory is stable at those speeds... You have a much higher FSB and therefore memory speed to reach 4Ghz with that quad compared to your e8500 b/c of the different multiplier. ;)

Either give the memory a kick with voltage or loosen the timings.

Like EarthDog mentioned... at a FSB of 470MHz x 8.5 = 3.99GHz, and assuming FSB Strap to North Bridge is set to AUTO, the BIOS defaulted to a 400MHz MCH strap w/ a resulting DRAM frequency of 940MHz (2.00 memory multiplier). Without knowing what the SPD timings or DRAM voltage is for your particular RAM, manually adjust the four primary RAM timings to 5-5-5-18 (CAS# Latency, DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay, DRAM RAS# Precharge, and DRAM RAS# to Activate Precharge), w/ all sub-timings on AUTO. Next run Memtest86+ before attempting to boot into Windows. If Memtest fails, do like ED suggested... "Either give the memory a kick with voltage or loosen the timings". A little more vNB / MCH may also help stabilize it.

Last edited:
i used a 8.5 muti on my E8500 so the ram settings were the exact same as when i had the E8500 in here with no issues.

I got the nb at 1.4 but seem to do **** all on blend tests..

I found around 475 FSB or so on my old P5Q, that I needed to add some PLL. Try 1.55/.57. Also That FSBt may be too low for the FSB you have. Bump it up to 1.26-1.30.

Individually test of cours to see which one, if any, work.

I found around 475 FSB or so on my old P5Q, that I needed to add some PLL. Try 1.55/.57. Also That FSBt may be too low for the FSB you have. Bump it up to 1.26-1.30.

ok dont exactly understand what u mean by

another thing i forgot i didnt like about quads.. core 1/2 at 27c and core 3/4 at 35c idlign zzzz

Dont bump both voltages up at the same time. You want to find out which one was the culprit, if any, so you dont have uneccesarily high voltages.

Yeah sensors do that. You can correct that in Realtemp. Just to be on the safe side, bump it UP to the highest one. I use the offsets for idle and the TJmax at load to adjust. That way Im closer on idle and very close at load where it matters.

Dont bump both voltages up at the same time. You want to find out which one was the culprit, if any, so you dont have uneccesarily high voltages.

Yeah sensors do that. You can correct that in Realtemp. Just to be on the safe side, bump it UP to the highest one. I use the offsets for idle and the TJmax at load to adjust. That way Im closer on idle and very close at load where it matters.

tried both of those volts still failin the sh*t out of blends.. on core 1 and 2. 3 and 4 always seems to be fine.. could it be the cpu or doubtful. Since i have no problems in small ftt. I seem to have the same problem in large as blend.

Small and large test the CPU much more so than ram IIRC, so I would imagine its got to be something with the ram/nb/fsbt,vtt/...

What bios are you on in that P5Q?

I can tell you that board didnt like much past 475FSB though. I did get it to boot and do Spi at 500FSB with Q9450, but that was a stretch for her. It was 450-475FSB stable for me even with a modded bios.

EDIT: Try running the 333 strap. I recall the 400 strap being borked somehow.

bios 2005

ya im at 471 fsb..
wats the most u should go on the CPU PLL..

also do these GTL volt settings make a difference? i have them on auto and the NB GTL

i droped to 459fsb so like 3.9 or something

cpu 1.30
Cpu PLL 1.60
al gtls auto
Dram 2.06
nb- 1.2
fsb 1.36
sb 1.2

passing all tests now prob gonna have to leave it here. kinda ****ed i wanted to see 4.0.. but either way im faster then my e8500 at 4.0 im sure

Any recommendations for a "better oc board "
bc u dont wanna go over 1.4 for fsb for 45nm correct

Last edited:
cool ill check it out. how does my volts look all with in reason fro 24/7 use?

also wanted to ask since u had a p5q, what did u have better luck with on the CPU margin enchancement, optimized, compatibable or performance..

also attached a pic sorry fro the large as pic 3 montiors..

http://img34.imageshack.us/i/97101266.jpg/

Also trying to find out wat the vid is on the chip forgot wat prog to use. CPu-z just says min 1.1 and max 1.27 but doesnt tell me what it actaully is

Last edited:
Volts look fine... try to tweak them down one by one to make sure...

That was on Optimized at 3.6GHz with Q9450.

Coretemp or Realtemp will show your Max VID (stock volts).

cool cool i checked out ur board.. sux only 1 16x slot..

wat about this one, cant find one with ddr3 tho and 775

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128331

failing blends now at 459fsb, 1.36 fsb and 1.30 vcore about 2 hrs in . gave the cpu 1.31 and failed sooner. lol so im testing the fsb volts now to see if thats the problem or not..

edit: def seems to be the fsb voltage 1.36 got me 2 hrs and 18mins so ill see if i can use the system like i normally do with out going any higher. i really dont wanna give the fsb any more voltage..

Last edited:
Back