• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading System, Am I Making the Right Choice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scant7

It's been a while but I'm finally ready to upgrade!

I think my system is in my sig, but just in case, I have:
Gigabyte DS3L P35,
Intel C2D E6600 @ 3.2,
Windows XP Pro, 2GB G.SKILL DDR2 800,
BFG 8800GT OC 512MB,
750GB WD SE,
SAMSUNG SH-S203B
Onkyo TX-SR506 via optical cable -> onboard sound

I'm fortunate to be a part of Intel Retail Edge program with a rockstar status, so in december I plan on for sure getting:
Intel® Core™ i7-860 processor
Intel® X25-M Solid-State Drive

Got a free copy of Windows 7 64-bit from my school (CSUMB)

And for now, I'm planning on using the same video card...

So that leaves the motherboard and memory.

Do you guys think it would be a good idea to get the Intel® Desktop Board DP55WG for $109 from Intel Retail Edge? Or should I spend more money and get a Gigabyte or Asus board? I'll probably want to overclock just a little bit, but overall I'm looking for the most stable and least amount of issues in a motherboard, and would be willing to pay around $150.

Also, what kind of memory should I get? It's been so long since I've looked at computer hardware I don't know what's best. A quick newegg search lead me to GSkill 4GB DDR3 1600 for $95. Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231193&cm_re=GSKILL-_-20-231-193-_-Product

I've been extremely happy with my current GSkill, so would that memory be prime for whatever motherboard I end up getting?

Cannot tell you how the P55 Intel board performs, but I must say my x58 Intel does quite well. Its VERY stable, provides a good amount of overclocking features. I scored a deal on it which is why I got it. It was in the classies for a good while for sale, and I even thought it over for a few days as I was skeptical. If the P55 Intel is anywhere near the performance of the x58, Id say get it if the price is right (not sure what P55 boards go for to be honest).

Will it get you extreme clocks? No, but Im sure itll get you some pretty good stable clocks. Hell, Ive hit 4.6ghz with mine and have gotten 4.5ghz stable. Alot of the cheaper boards have a tough time with that one.

Great to know, will definitely check out some of those reviews!

What do you guys think about this for a 1TB HD that I'm going to use to store mp3s/flacs/hd and dvd movies...

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM at newegg?

It seems to have the best reviews and the lowest price.

Will it get you extreme clocks? No, but Im sure itll get you some pretty good stable clocks. Hell, Ive hit 4.6ghz with mine and have gotten 4.5ghz stable.

Dude...that IS an extreme clock. Most people can't get 4.5 stable at all. 4.6 stable is even rarer. 4.7+ is practically impossible with anything but Xeon's and even then, you may see a screenshot in Windows with no load whatsoever on 95% of those. It's the rarest of the rare that can load those CPU's.

Yeah, I see your point Daddy, but the problem is this board maxes bclk at 219 (and most of them do, I actually havent seen anyone get past 220 with this baord). Kinda sucks with a 21x multi. A 950 would be nice at the very least.

Honestly looking at the prices, I cant stay the Intel would be the best but I cant see it wont do very well (@ $110 like you said you can get it). It retails for like $140 at the egg. You can find decent lower end Giga/Foxxcon/MSI/Asus boards for close to the same. Honestly, Id venture to say the Intel would do a bit better (clock just as well and the stability of Intel boards is usually unmatched so that puts it over the cheaper end major manufacturer boards).

Since I use my computer to play music and movies on a $1500+ sound system I've built over the past year, SQ is extremely important to me. I've found the best way to connect my computer to my receiver is through S/PDIF optical. I've noticed that my current motherboard, and the new P55 Gigabyte motherboards use the ALC888 Realtek chip, however the Intel DP55WG uses the newer ALC889 Realtek chip.

According to this review, http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2007/06/27/xfx_nforce_680i_sli/7 the ALC888 performed quite better than the ALC889, if I interpreted the graph right.

That said, if SQ is my #1 concern, should I make sure to get a motherboard with the ALC888 chip, and stay away from the ALC889?

No, if SQ is your main concern, you should get a sound card, especially if you have a $1500 sound system. No onboard sound will do it justice.

I have a Creative X-Fi Xtrememusic sound card in my computer that I don't use. What would be an advantage of using a sound card when my sound is through S/PDIF? Isn't the whole point of using S/PDIF is so your computer does no processing, it simply transfers the signal to a Home-theater receiver which then does all the processing? If so how would using the S/PDIF from my sound card be any different than using the S/PDIF from my onboard sound? All it is doing is transfering the digital format straight to my receiver, and making it so that my PC does no processing.

Sorry, I honestly cant answer if it would be better. I kinda overlooked the SPDIF when I mentioned that above.

I know with the older motherboards, SPDIF quality was better with soundcards, but with current boards I dont know if that still holds true.

Back