• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Loud whining noise from new build..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RtnlSltn

First of all, new to the forums, hi everyone.

I recently built my I7 rig and have this loud whining noise through anything I plug into any sound port. I found I'm able to get the same noise by just touching the audio jack to any exposed metal of the case. I don't know what could be causing this issue, it's almost like a ground loop issue you would get in car audio. I already tried plugging in an audio card, no change. I was thinking about taking off the PCI plate of my audio card or taping the surfaces that touch the case, and seeing if it goes away. I'm kind of an audiophile, and the whining is especially annoying while trying to watch a TV show where there isn't constant noise. I've contacted EVGA but they haven't been of much assistance as of yet. My bet is that it's related to the PSU, but for $200+ I would expect better! I've built well over 20 systems before and never had this issue. I appreciate any guidance.

Here's my setup:
Silverstone Raven RV-01 case
eVGA 3X SLI X58 Motherboard
Intel Core I7 920
eVGA GTX285 1GB
Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 6GB Ram
Corsair Dominator memory fan
Corsair 1000w Certified PSU
WD 1TB Black HD X2
Coolermaster V8 heatsink

66201117065607936622707.jpg

Thanks,
Justin

Absolutely, I actually had to remove the heatsink once to re-apply thermal paste, all standoffs are present.

Back