• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Port Fowarding Router?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhatKirby

I use a Netgear 54Mbps Wireless G router. When trying to host games, no one joins. From what I've read, this is a port forwarding issue? I've seen that there are instructions online on how to do it, but is there a router that can do it for me automatically?

One of my concerns about setting it up myself is that I believe once my IP address changes (I'm on cable) I'd have to re-do the port forwarding setup right? According to my router, the lease for my IP address lasts a matter of hours. Not sure if I'm interpreting this wrong or not.

Basically, to summarize: I want to be able to host games (borderlands now a days). I am behind a Netgear wireless router and on cable internet. I'd rather not do the setup myself, but if I have to, I probably can if I can find some easy-to-understand instructions.

TY for your time.

What you are wanting is UPnP. That forwards ports that are being used by software temporary and then closes them again when you are done. Unfortunately, games do not normally support that mode. Borderlands DEFINITELY does not support it. I had trouble for several days with Borderlands before I was able to host games without any trouble.

Unfortunately, if you want to host games, you will most likely have to forward ports yourself. Have you thought about giving your computer a static internal IP address? You would then be able to forwards ports to that computer without having to worry if your lease expires.

get to control panel, network connections, right click your connection, go to properties, double click internet protocol (tcp/ip) you can give your computer a static address here, subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0 and gateway should be your router's IP, you can use the dns servers from your isp or google for some public ones. i've used 4.2.2.2 for quite a while now.

once your computer's IP is static, you can route ports to the computer in your router's settings and when you restart your computer or whatever and addresses on the network get shuffled, you'll keep your address. if you run a software firewall (or dont care about security) and dont need ports opened on other computers on the network, you can set your computer to DMZ (De-Militarized Zone) to basically forward ALL incoming ports to your computer. basically disables the hardware firewall for your computer (thats why you should run software one for safety)

hope this rundown helps.

I agree with Four4875 but If I may interject, dont use an internet DNS server as the primary use the IP of your router. Since it is getting its WAN info from the ISP the DNS server will update automatically, these things tend to change. In regards to worring that your ISP is DHCP and if your IP changes you have to reconfig the router every time your ISP changes your IP, well dont it is a wated thought. Four has it nailed on the static IP internally as this is where you would run into that worry. I tend to disagree with the interpertation of the DMZ though. Putting a piece of equipment into a DMZ will not forward all ports to this device. Infact it will forward no ports to the device. What it does allow it to do is initaite comms on any of the ports aviailbe from 1-49151 (http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers) A DMZ means wide open no firewall A home type router doesnt go this endepth, but it has a very Basic Firewall Function. Probally will only allow for common ports ie 80HTTP 443SSL 25SMTP 21FTP 23Telnet 22SSH and a couple of others, otherwise all outbound connections are squashed. With a real firewall you can controll all ports and protocols. This being said Port Forwading is when you take an inbound port and protocol and direct it an internal IP. For example SMTP communicates on 25 between email servers. If your mail server sent me a message then it would seek my server on port 25. Once the request makes it to my public IP, the one given to you by the cable modem, it will then say hey I have a request on 25 were does it go..hmmmmmmmm.let me see....oh yeah I need to forward it to Internal IP defined in rule. In your case you probally need some random port or range of ports forwarded to your server to host the game. You will need to find out 3 things. 1 what port(s) is required to talk on 2. what protocol ie TCP,UDP and 3. their direction is in out in in/out send recieve send/recieve. I know this sounds like a map but it is key. Heres a crash on comms. the server makes a call to another on a predifined port(s) the server responds on the port(s) When the server made the call it was an out when it hit the other machine it was an in. Out and in are used in TCP connections TCP is nothing but a protocol like UDP which uses sends and receives respectively to in/out. Dont be afaid to setup this up its really not that hard and this explaniation is simplified leaving gaping holes in the principles in which this really works, but it should give you an idea. Do what Four suggests, set a static IP on the machine you want to host games from. You can do this quite simply by running ipconfig on the pc while it is getting a DHCP address and wrtie down these things the first 3 octets of the IP address ie 192.168.1 then write down the Gateway and DNS server you will find them to be the same # then write down the subnett mask. You will want to make sure that your DHCP server ( your router) will not hand out the IP you choose so look at the "pool" and set an IP out of scope, not in the list. Goto the firewall page/routing page dont recall how netgears are setup up and set up your port forwards and your rules for in/out to allow that IP to talk. If you arent worried about the whole world knocking on your front door you can put the pc's ip in the dmz. Again really this isnt too hard. If you need help and can post the port info and screenshots of your routers web interface I can walk you through quickly.

Personally I would recomend getting rid of that Netgear and NEVER buy a d-link. In my past experience I have found Linksys to be the best I have had them all. If you really want to do some damage and stay stable invest in a cisco 1700 with a 10base wic. Alothough it is alot harder to configure than a "home solution" its performance and stability will take you back.. You can look for "Cisco Lab" in google people sell these things dirt cheap as they are passed around for CCNA tests like used cars.

I agree with Four4875 but If I may interject, dont use an internet DNS server as the primary use the IP of your router. Since it is getting its WAN info from the ISP the DNS server will update automatically, these things tend to change. In regards to worring that your ISP is DHCP and if your IP changes you have to reconfig the router every time your ISP changes your IP, well dont it is a wated thought. Four has it nailed on the static IP internally as this is where you would run into that worry. I tend to disagree with the interpertation of the DMZ though. Putting a piece of equipment into a DMZ will not forward all ports to this device. Infact it will forward no ports to the device. What it does allow it to do is initaite comms on any of the ports aviailbe from 1-49151 (http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers) A DMZ means wide open no firewall A home type router doesnt go this endepth, but it has a very Basic Firewall Function. Probally will only allow for common ports ie 80HTTP 443SSL 25SMTP 21FTP 23Telnet 22SSH and a couple of others, otherwise all outbound connections are squashed. With a real firewall you can controll all ports and protocols. This being said Port Forwading is when you take an inbound port and protocol and direct it an internal IP. For example SMTP communicates on 25 between email servers. If your mail server sent me a message then it would seek my server on port 25. Once the request makes it to my public IP, the one given to you by the cable modem, it will then say hey I have a request on 25 were does it go..hmmmmmmmm.let me see....oh yeah I need to forward it to Internal IP defined in rule. In your case you probally need some random port or range of ports forwarded to your server to host the game. You will need to find out 3 things. 1 what port(s) is required to talk on 2. what protocol ie TCP,UDP and 3. their direction is in out in in/out send recieve send/recieve. I know this sounds like a map but it is key. Heres a crash on comms. the server makes a call to another on a predifined port(s) the server responds on the port(s) When the server made the call it was an out when it hit the other machine it was an in. Out and in are used in TCP connections TCP is nothing but a protocol like UDP which uses sends and receives respectively to in/out. Dont be afaid to setup this up its really not that hard and this explaniation is simplified leaving gaping holes in the principles in which this really works, but it should give you an idea. Do what Four suggests, set a static IP on the machine you want to host games from. You can do this quite simply by running ipconfig on the pc while it is getting a DHCP address and wrtie down these things the first 3 octets of the IP address ie 192.168.1 then write down the Gateway and DNS server you will find them to be the same # then write down the subnett mask. You will want to make sure that your DHCP server ( your router) will not hand out the IP you choose so look at the "pool" and set an IP out of scope, not in the list. Goto the firewall page/routing page dont recall how netgears are setup up and set up your port forwards and your rules for in/out to allow that IP to talk. If you arent worried about the whole world knocking on your front door you can put the pc's ip in the dmz. Again really this isnt too hard. If you need help and can post the port info and screenshots of your routers web interface I can walk you through quickly.

Personally I would recomend getting rid of that Netgear and NEVER buy a d-link. In my past experience I have found Linksys to be the best I have had them all. If you really want to do some damage and stay stable invest in a cisco 1700 with a 10base wic. Alothough it is alot harder to configure than a "home solution" its performance and stability will take you back.. You can look for "Cisco Lab" in google people sell these things dirt cheap as they are passed around for CCNA tests like used cars.

AAAUUHGGG!!!
I'm sure there's some great info in there somewhere.
Paragraphs man, paragraphs. :)

Sorry OP, I have no help to offer you, but I was interested in the topic and decided to read. Until I saw this post then my brain started to cook.
Thx for making this thread, as I was planning on doing some research on this very topic.

Okay, this thread is getting loaded with too much information for a simple question.

You can either set your computer to have a static IP through windows, or in many cases, through the router itself. Once you have a static IP, you can forward the ports needed for your game server in your router settings.

If you want a detailed walkthrough, give me your router's model number and I will post instructions.

Back